We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is security overdone at London airports?

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Is security overdone at London airports?

I heard Heathrow is excessive with customs and security...

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is security overdone at London airports?

Have you got anything to be worried about????

I am not aware of the security at Heathrow being any more excessive than in the US. If anything the opposite!

But hey, far better to be vigilant and feel safe, surely?

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is security overdone at London airports?

I'm referring to time...Strawberry...ease up on the gas buddy.

London, UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is security overdone at London airports?

I'd say it is very quick and efficient, comparable to the best US airports. I've been through O'Hare, Seattle, LAX, and JFK in the last 18 months (plus some domestic flights), and Heathrow about 50 times over the same period. The few US airports experiences involved much slower going arriving and departing.

At Heathrow, it depends on airline and time of day, but rarely do I have wait more than 15 minutes to get through the security, usually it is 5-10.

In immigration you can see more severe delays, but on average 5-10 minutes for non Europeans. The worst I can remember recently is about 30 minutes, but that has happened just once or twice. If you are collecting bags the time clearing immigration doesn't really matter, as you pick baggage up after immigration, and it takes at least 20 minutes for those to show up.

There are no queues for customs, you just exit unless they call you aside for inspection.

European airports have had the current level of US security for many, many years, so in general they are more efficiently organized. Heathrow in particular is pretty adequately staffed.

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is security overdone at London airports?

U do indeed spend longer at Customs in ALL American airports than you do in the UK

But American airports have also ALWAYS been slightly lax in the security department which has changed since 9/11- my uncle who lives in America was once allowed on a plane!?!! THIS WOULD NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS HAVE EVER HAPPENED IN THE UK BEFORE OR AFTER 9/11?!

You have always said farewell to any non-flyers at the Departure Gate with Customs and the metal detectors!

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is security overdone at London airports?

thank you for the insight.

Can't wait to see one of the greatest cities in the world.