We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TL City Road to NHM on the Circle line

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
TL City Road to NHM on the Circle line

I'm trying to sort out the best way from the Travelodge City Road to the Natural History Museum on a Sunday.

The TFL website tell me to take the Tube to Bank and walk to Monument and then District or Circle to South Kensington.

Isn't it possible to go directly on the Circle Line from Moorgate to South Kensington?

Is the Circle line still "circle"? It seems on the map that there is a kind of diversion at Edgware Road station going to Hammersmtih. Is it a new diversion on taht line?

Many thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: TL City Road to NHM on the Circle line

This sounds like the regular Sunday closure of the line from Moorgate to Aldgate because of engineering works!

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TL City Road to NHM on the Circle line

Sorry I didn't mention this is for Sunday May 2nd

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,893 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TL City Road to NHM on the Circle line

I'm a bit surprised you got that option, Ramon, since the TfL planned engineering works shows nothing scheduled for the Circle line for Bank Holiday weekend.

The Circle line will take you to South Ken, but I'm tempted to say go to the Cenrtral line at Bank and change to the Piccadilly line at Holborn. Alternately, take the 205 towards Paddington to KX then the Piccadilly line from there.

South Kensington station has had work done at street level, so the bus stops are no longer clustered together in a tiny area with pax making their way to and from the station. It's certainly more civilised if you want to take the 74 or 414 from Hyde Park Corner or elsewhere.

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TL City Road to NHM on the Circle line

Thanks for your answers.

also had a look at the track closres for that weekend (I'm becoming an expert on the TFL website by now) and didn't find any closures for those days on the Circle line.

Anyway, as we'll problaby take the tube on Saturday, we'll check for closures.

So, bus 76 at the hotel door to Bank and then Central to Holborn and Piccadilly to South Ken seems the best option.

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TL City Road to NHM on the Circle line

The website gives me another option which seems quite good.

If we go to Monument (buses 43/21/141 from bus stop at the hotel) and then District line to South Ken. Journey time is 27 minutes. We have booked tickets for the Darwin Cocoon at 10am.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: TL City Road to NHM on the Circle line

The Circle Line isn't a circle any more - but that doesn't affect your proposed journey, or scarcely any involving Moorgate

Trains go from Hammersmith, via Edgware Rd, round the old Circle, to Edgware Rd. They then do the same thing in reverse.

This means that from stations on the NE of the Circle to those on the SW, you have to change at Edgware Rd. The change is supposed to be always a straightforward same- or cross-platform connection (though apparently that doesn't always quite happen).

The only real effect of the change if your "home" station is Moorgate is that trains to and from Paddington involve a different tube platform from before, and are more frequent. Unfortunately, it's the most luggage-unfriendly platform on the whole system, so using it at peak times, with airport and loing-distance train passengers are trying to get their cases to the trains, is really, really unpleasant going on downright dangerous.

7. Re: TL City Road to NHM on the Circle line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 04, 2010