We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do on Christmas Day

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Things to do on Christmas Day

I have seen a prior post telling all that will be closed over Christmas in London (very helpful--thank you). But what sort of things would one recommend to those of us who will be far from home, friends, and family on Christmas Day?

Here's what comes to my mind ...

1. Sleep late

2. Find a worship service to attend

3. Find a meal to eat

4. Go on a self-guided walking tour

5. Go on a guided walking tour (see London Walks)

Will the movie houses be open?

Any ideas anyone???

Mentioned in this post
London Walks
London Walks
1,687 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Slow Visits
Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Private Tours
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Things to do on Christmas Day

Spete, we self-cater also. 5 small spices and picnic size salt and pepper fit perfectly in a small Zip-loc bag (quart size). I take garlic, onion, Italian, cumin and chili, the ones we use most. They might cost $2 here but if you buy them there you'll spend £3-4 each and get a lifetime supply that you can take home as souvenirs!

We also take a paring knife. We have done lots of self-catering in England and have not found one decent paring knife in any of them.

Regarding T&P: it can stand for tea & pee (OK, I said it) or toilet & pint, depending on your predilection. Either way, it's a two-in-one stop!

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Things to do on Christmas Day

WAITROSE - accept no substitue, save M&S when it comes to Christmas goodies.

It will be well worth the schlep to the Canary Wharf Waitrose.

You may not be able to get a fresh bird, but they will stock prepared joints (the turkey crown is good)& there will be sauces, pre-pared pototoes to roast.

Either go late (just as they close) when the shelves have been restocked after the evening rush or very first thing before the hordes get in.

Make sure you try the oven a few times before the Big Day - you'll need to know how hot/fast it will be.

M&S will also have a good selection of goodies, but as they only stock their own (excellent quality) brand, the range of products will not be as great as Waitrose.

Waitrose are particularly good wine & beer merchants.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,108 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Things to do on Christmas Day

Bumping this up because of the wealth of information in it.

Londontown has a whole series of articles on Christmas in London:

londontown.com/London/Christmas_in_london/

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London
Level Contributor
896 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Things to do on Christmas Day

http://www.waitrose.com/christmas

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Things to do on Christmas Day

Damm it Zappo - why did you do it. Now you will make me feel hungry and homesick.