We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Pancras/currency exchange

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
St Pancras/currency exchange

We will be leaving London via the Eurostar to Paris.

I am wondering what to do with my leftover pounds currency?

It will be a Sunday AM we depart.

Is there a currency exchange at St Pancras and if so would my best bet be to exchange my pounds to Euros for France or back to USD?

If there is not an exchange there would there be one when I arrive in Paris?

Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,140 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Pancras/currency exchange

There are a couple of bureaux de change at St Pancras; have a look at the map in the link below for locations. There is at least one bureau de change at the Gare du Nord as well.

I like to arrive in a country wih a bit of local cash on hand, so I'd say buy some euro before departing for Paris, but really it's up to you.

stpancras.com/UploadDocs/…20Map.pdf

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Pancras/currency exchange

Hang on to them, you may buy something on the train with them. You can change them in Paris for Euros (DO NOT change them to dollars in paris, there will be a double exchange rate hit that way)

p.s Also DO NOT change Dollars in London to Euros for the exact same reason, (changing them to Euros is fine).

Finally, its a law of nature that exchange places in airports and railway stations always have by far the worst rate. Look at some small hole in the wall place in Paris or London (or M&S who always have good rates IME).

Edited: 1:12 pm, February 17, 2010
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Pancras/currency exchange

Grr that should have read p.s Also DO NOT change Dollars in London to Euros for the exact same reason, (changing POUNDS to Euros is fine).

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Pancras/currency exchange

I may hold onto them then in case of buying something on the train.

Then exchange in Paris for Euros and hit an ATM if I need a little more cash.

We are picking up a car after that to drive to Bayeux.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Pancras/currency exchange

Maybe on second thought I should look for that hole in the wall place in London on Saturday depending how many pounds I have left and exchange all but a little for the train into Euros.

Anyone know of a little hole in the wall place in London on a Saturday that may have better exchange rates than at the station?

We are staying in Trinity Square but will be out and about on Saturday before catching our train Sunday am.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,140 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Pancras/currency exchange

Thomas Exchange near Victoria usually has good rates; try International Currency Exchange (ICE) as well. Some branches of M&S have exchange facilities, and the big Post Office on William IV Street near Trafalgar Square also has a currency exchange.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Pancras/currency exchange

Just wondering what is M & S?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,728 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Pancras/currency exchange

Marks & Spencer, famous British institution, High Street department store and exchanger of currency.

Also sells decent sandwiches...

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Pancras/currency exchange

Marks & Spencer.

http://money.marksandspencer.com/

10. Re: St Pancras/currency exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 17, 2010