We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oxo tower

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
oxo tower

Hi

Is it possible to go up the Oxo Tower to have a look without going to the restaurant or the bar up there?

I'm thinking of exploring the South Bank and have read recommendations about the Oxo Tower but I don't know if I can go up there with the girls.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
South Bank
South Bank
1,481 Reviews
London, UK
London
Level Contributor
111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oxo tower

Hi, I don't think it is. I have been there a couple of times and I think the only view is from the restaurant. However, there may not be a problem with going for a drink with children in the daytime - worth checking with the place itself. BTW, Waterloo Bridge has pretty much the best view in London, especially at dusk when all the lights are coming on. And no restrictions there.

Mentioned in this post
Waterloo Bridge
Waterloo Bridge
170 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
924 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oxo tower

Actually, you can get to the observation platform without becoming a customer of the restaurant or the bar.

I learned this while on a Photo Walks of London guided walk last September. As part of the planning permission (or some similar legal thing), the owners of the Tower have to allow public access to the observation deck.

Here's what to do. Go to the tower and get into the elevator that takes you to the top floor (or near the top, I don't remember and the guide was doing the button pushing). Go to the entrance to the bar, smile politely to the host/hostess who greets you and explain that you'd like to visit the observation deck. You walk a bit through the bar and go out a door onto the deck which has a rocking view across the Thames. Bar customers will also be out there. But as I said, you don't have to buy anything, you are allowed to visit.

I don't have details, and it's possible there may be times/dates when they can close it to all but their patrons. Anyway, it's worth a visit. I got some wonderful pictures up there!

Also, great tip re Waterloo Bridge - another stop on my photo tour.

Edited: 12:09 pm, January 16, 2010
Mentioned in this post
London Walks
London Walks
1,706 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
The Tower
The Tower
7,610 Reviews
London, UK
The Thames
The Thames
199 Reviews
London, UK
Waterloo Bridge
Waterloo Bridge
170 Reviews
London, UK
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oxo tower

Yes, it is, but the observation gallery isn't signposted. You can ask at the restaurant but you don't have to. When you come out of the lift/elevator do not turn right to walk into the restaurant. Instead turn left and you'll see the terrace overlooking the river (I think that's correct, I haven't been for 2 or 3 years).

Just for information, the OXO tower consists of arts shops and galleries at ground level and the first couple of floors, then social housing in the middle, and then the restaurant at the top.

People are perfectly entitled to go to the viewing terrace - it is NOT a part of the restaurant.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
924 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oxo tower

Glyn, I remember we did go to the left when leaving the elevator at the Oxo Tower - but I think we still had to walk through a bit of the bar area to get to the door to the observation deck/terrace. My guide did speak nicely to the greeter at the door of the bar, ti indicate we were just on our way out to see the view, it was no problem. I'm pretty sure we didn't to to the main restaurant entrance, just the bar part.

Edited: 4:31 pm, January 16, 2010
Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oxo tower

Glyn...what is 'social housing?' Are there apartments or something like that on the other floors of OXO tower? I think the shops on the 1st and 2nd level are quite nice. They seem to showcase a lot of British designers- or at least used to. My last visit to Oxo was 3 years ago.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: oxo tower

Toofargone: you've been there more recently than I have, so I'm sure that you're right.

Gomac: I mean accommodation owned by Southwark council, although lots of it will now have been bought by the tenants.

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: oxo tower

Glyn1, thanks for the answer. If they bought it can they live there? Or is it office space?

8. Re: oxo tower

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 16, 2010