We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English-Manner & Consort Estates advice

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
101 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
English-Manner & Consort Estates advice

Hi everyone!

I'm debating bkg a 4-bedroom flat in Kensington with English-Manner.com or a 3-bedroom apartment in Hampstead with Consort Estates. The Hampstead property is cheaper, I think because it's so much further out of the city. Has anyone heard of these two companies? I think I got english-manner.com out of a guidebook and Consort Estates contacted me through Holiday-Rentals.com

Is it worth it to pay a couple of hundred dollars more to stay in Kensington than in Hampstead?

Thanks for any input!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,851 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English-Manner & Consort Estates advice

It would help to know the actual addresses but I think a lot would depend on how close you want to be to central London.

Most of Kensington is very pleasant with good transport links and plenty of shops, supermarkers and restaurants. Hampstead is mostly delightful (The Heath is wonderful) but is more residential (hence my earlier remark about knowing addresses) meaning less to do in the evenings. It's just in zone two so costs would be similar but journey times would be longer and you might not have the option to return home to change for an evening activities. If you are aware of this and the property is close to a tube station that it is definately worth considering.

California
Level Contributor
101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English-Manner & Consort Estates advice

I don't have actual addresses, but they've said the Kensington property is The Mansions at Kensington "at the smart end of Earls Court Road, a few steps from Old Brompton Road."

The Hampstead property is a 7 minute walk from Finchley Road tube.

How long is the tube ride from Hampstead into London? I was thinking if we stay in Kensington, we would be able to walk to Kensington Palace/Hyde Park/etc., but would we really walk since it will be cold out? I didn't realize Hamptead was in Zone 2 either, so the price of our Oyster Cards would go up.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,851 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English-Manner & Consort Estates advice

The Kensington address is really Earls Court but still nice if a little further out (5 minutes on the tube) than South Kensington. From the apartment it would be about a 25 minute walk to Hyde Park.

Finchley Road station is also in zone two and the area is mainly residential once you get off The Finchley Road itself. There is a nice Waitrose supermarket by the station and a big mall with restaurants and cinemas called O2. There are plenty of restaurants of varying quality on The Finchley Road. You would be at least a 15 minute walk from the centre of the much posher Hampstead Village. If you do get the address, please let me know and I can check things out.

For some reason 7 day travelcards are more expensive for zones 1 & 2 whereas one and three day cards are the same price. There isn't a lot of difference but it does all add up.

Tough call but please ask if you need more help.

adamhornets@yahoo.com