We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North, South, or West

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
North, South, or West

Hello all...

I am having a bit of a dilemna here. Next August I will be going to a wedding in Penrith, Lake District. I have about 8 days to travel before then and am trying to figure out what to do. I had studied in Wales and been all over, though would like to revisit Carmarthen for one day. I have also been to London, Northampton, and Chelsea, but no where else. I have never been to Scotland. I know in August there is a festival there. Should I spend my time in Scotland? Are B&B's good? I forgot to mention I will be jetting to Greece for 3 days, so make it 5 days to travel the UK.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: North, South, or West

With 5 or 6 full days you can actually see a good bit of Scotland and Yorkshire. Anemone's right about the time of year. My husband and I spent a week in Yorkshire (Summerbridge) in late July, walking on the moors, and darn near had the place to ourselves. It was marvelous. We also did not have crowds at Ripon Cathedral, or Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal, or Rievaulx Abbey or Rievaulx Terrace, Brimham Rocks, even York.

You'll love it.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: North, South, or West

If you have a car why not work yourway up from London (assuming your entering via London). Head out to Oxford, then through the Cotswolds, then Chester, then up to the Lake District (or across to the Yorkshire Dales) and up to Penrith. 2 or 3 nights in the Cotswolds, Chester and the Dales you would get a nice taste of each.