We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pound vs. Euro

Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pound vs. Euro

I've heard that England will accept the Euro as well as the Pound for currency. Is this true? If so, as an American wouldn't it be more economical to exchange dollars to Euros rather than pounds? Thanks for your advice.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pound vs. Euro

Not sure where you heard this. I know of nowhere that will but then I don't shop in places like Harrods who possibly could or would.

Our government keps telling us how wonderful the Euro will be for us but is scared to put it to the vote as they are likely to lose. A lot of people think the Euro is the thin edge of the wedge and once it is introduced, it's only a short walk to becoming a federal Europe.

That's the politics lesson! No. bring a few pounds and a credit/debit card and get your cash from ATM's. Don't bother with traveller cheques.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Adam C

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pound vs. Euro

No, it would not be more economical. Even if a UK establishment were to accept euros, it would apply the appropriate exchange rate, plus a bit extra for its inconvenience. So you would pay at least 142 euros for something priced at 100 GBP. But probably closer to 150 euro.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pound vs. Euro

London is still under the Sterling standard, no Euro's. I agree w/Adam C., credit and ATM cards along w/ some walking around pounds will do you just fine.

Addison, Maine
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pound vs. Euro

I was just in England and found my ATM card worked quite well. Just remember if you draw out 40 pounds, that is almost $80.00 of USA dollars. I just doubled everything in my head and knew that that was about close to what I was spending out of my bank account. Each day is different I found.

JMS
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pound vs. Euro

I just returned and found two places in UK where they accept both GBP and Euro; on board Eurostar and at Madame Tussaud's (Actually she accepts USD as well). The only way to enjoy Europe as an American is to just ignore the exchange rates and pretend like the rate is 1=1. It was not until today that I looked at my account online and saw what those ATM withdrawls amounted too.