We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Let's pretend I've won the lottery...

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
Save Topic
Let's pretend I've won the lottery...

and am now a multi millionaire, I've paid off the mortgage, quit work, bought my penthouse pad in London, had a big party to celebrate, recovered from the hangover and I'm now about to set off travelling around the world. No place in the world (apart from war zones) is off limit as I'm planning on getting to every continent.

So, tell me what is good about the bit of the world that you live in, or have lived in, and why I should consider visiting there or if you can't recommend your bit of the world, recommend somewhere else. Oh and I don't want to hear about places that I shouldn't go to. This is a feel good thread and not a negative one.

Before anyone asks, yes, i am completely obsessed with winning the lottery.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,789 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Let's pretend I've won the lottery...

Amber.. it's all in the spin..

Seriuosly i love Adelaide and it's probabaly the only other major capital in Oz I could live in (sorry melburnites...)

You can't compare Sydney and Adelaide (or any of them with melbourne, Perth, Darwin or Brisbane)..each Oz city has its own flavour and uniquenss..

I love living in Sydney (we've has quite a few offer thru Gurus work to move elswhere both internally and OS) and mostly due to stage of life issues have turned them down..

I can be on a beach (me and about 20 others on a 1 km stretch of sand) in next to no time, see local wildlife from my backdoor, bushwalk (tramp, hike) thru Rainforest and national park on the same day, eat in an array of fantastic restaurants, swim till 9pm in summer months, sample fine wines within a 2 hour drive from home, ..

does that make living in Sydney more appealing?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Let's pretend I've won the lottery...

GW, I was just teasing you about the spin.

All you have to say is "No snow, and the locals speak English." to make a city appealing to live for me this time of year.

Someone mentioned paying off their sister's mortgage. I thought I wouldn't do that because I have 2 siblings, plus a brother-in-law, my parents still living and a mother-in-law. But if I got $170 million from the Powerball, I could give them each a million and still have $165 million left over. Even *I* couldn't be that cheap.

YellowSubmarine
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Let's pretend I've won the lottery...

I went to a good portion of elem. school in Perth (Mt. Pleasant). I was just a kid but I still remember the school (had fun there and loved the ways of teaching etc etc) and the beach (BIG waves to get bowled over by!!) I would like to go back there some day, too.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,789 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Let's pretend I've won the lottery...

Amber.. I know the tease but being a Sydney sider i thought I'd better put in the plug...

Guru reckons the magistrates got it wrong...should have left the prisoners in England and escaped to oz for the weather... not sure i was so great here for the first 50 years tho..

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,136 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Let's pretend I've won the lottery...

Ok, Mick & Guruswife have succeeded in making me nostalgic for the place. And my sister & I just reminisced over her photos from a recent trip back. Come to think of it, whenever I visit a city with a walkable downtown and nice old turn-of-the-century buildings, I get a warm fuzzy and think "this feels just like Adelaide"...

I grew up in Adelaide and Bunbury, Western Australia. For years, absolutely nobody else had ever heard of them - everyone here seemed to assume the entire population of Australia lived in Sydney. Ok, not so far off, but still...

If you're into wine and have time, the Barossa Valley's a nice day trip. Have fun!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
265 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Let's pretend I've won the lottery...

Mick

Each time I receive an email New Reply to "Let's pretend I've won the lottery" I open up thinking you've done it this time - you've won.

You will tell us Mick wont you, when you win?

If I won, I think I'd take one of those comfy looking skybeds and sleep all the way to London and be met by a chauffeur to drive me and my bags into my favourite part of the city.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Let's pretend I've won the lottery...

Easter Island. You will wish you had gone there first. Absolutely Amazing!