We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Tours in London from Cruise ship in september

miami
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Private Tours in London from Cruise ship in september

Need recommendations as to who/what/where for private tours. We have 8 hours to visit London, starting from the Dover port to London. Suggestions are appreciated.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Tours in London from Cruise ship in september

I do not have first hand experience of this, but Google maps shows a drive time of 1hr 42min from Dover to London, which would only leave about 4 hours in London if you mean 8 hours including travel to London. That doesn't count however long it takes to get on and off the ship. Maybe it would be better to see Dover?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,235 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Tours in London from Cruise ship in september

Dover is a couple of hours by any means of travel - and if you are driven you'll have the problem of driving through the rush hour which could easily increase that substantially. So at best you have 4 hours in London and will spend much of that worrying whether you'll get back to the ship in time

If I was you I'd go to Canterbury which is only 15 or 30 minutes from Dover by a direct train

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Tours in London from Cruise ship in september

Yes i agree short trip to Canterbury would be better idea.

You can see the Canterbury Cathedral, which is magnificent and see the spot where Thomas Becket was murdered. Then walk to the Palace St and head off to Westgate. Explore the Westgate Gardens and do the river walk. See the castle ruins, then walk the city wall to Dane John Gardens and climb the mound. See the St Augustine Abbey, Greyfriars chapel and the St Augustine uni.

4. Re: Private Tours in London from Cruise ship in september

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, February 01, 2010