We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Card questions

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Travel Card questions

Me and my friend will be going to London this spring. I've been to London before and I know that the tube is the most convenient form of transportation. I went to London with my family six years ago (when I was 13) and I vaguely remember her going the turnstile ahead of me and then passing back her Travel Card. Is my mom a thief?! Or is it possible that we could by only one Travel Card and get by with one of us going first and then passing the card back? Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel Card questions

Heelpack, what you suggest cannot be done any more. On a trip in July I had inserted my Travelcard to go through the gates, then remembered something in the station and didn't go through. When I reinserted my card about 60 seconds later it would not allow access, and the station assistant said that the system had read it as having been used recently and would not allow access - probably for the same reason as you suggest.

The software in the gates seems to be sensitive to multiple uses; there are plenty of tube staff and CCTV cameras in the stations, too, to ensure this doesn't happen.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel Card questions

You guys are right. Now that I think about it I was still a kid travelling with my family so we did get a Family Travel Card. Otherwise, I'd be on the winning side. Jail doesn't sound like that bad an option though. If I get arrested in England, does it show up on my record here at home? Haha, just kidding.