We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day tour out of London?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ontario
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
day tour out of London?

If you were to pick either an organized tour or a do it yourself tour out of London for the day, where would you choose to go? Am looking for ideas....

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: day tour out of London?

What sort of things interest you ?? historical sites ?? Churches ?? Country life ?? You can get to virtually all of England and Wales and some of Scotland and back in a day so your choice is unlimited. - - if you read some of the excellent visit reports posted on this forum recently you will see some of the things that other visitors to London have done as day tours, may give you some ideas as to whats available for your personal interests.

ontario
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: day tour out of London?

What I would be looking for would be something that wouldn't be a logistical nightmare organizing, historical places with churches and perhaps some tours available. I am on crutches so a place that isn't spread out all over would be great! Was thinking of York, wondering if that is a good choice?

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
384 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: day tour out of London?

Hi Laura!

I found Windsor Castle and the surrounding town to be a nightmare for someone on crutches but Bath and Stonehenge were fine. You cannot park very close to the castle so therefore have a fairly extensive walk. I loved the area, but found it too difficult to get around in my condition. I hope to go back one day without a broken foot.

I loved Bath and would like to spend more time there some day. It's small, there are double decker buses for tours and it's just a lovely place`to visit. It has a totally different flavor than a large city like London. It was truly refreshing.

It took a little navigating to get around Stonehenge, and frankly you can see just as much from the road while driving by.

Rio
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: day tour out of London?

I am speaking for myself. First, define what places interest you. Then, do research whether they can easily reached by train or bus.

I followed this way of thinking and found out that would be nice to go out of London to visit: Bath, Windsor, Hampton Court and Oxford/Stratford.I came to the conclusion that as I want to spend some more time in Bath and it is easily reached from London, I will go to visit it by myself. The same applies to Windsor and Hampton Court. Oxford/Stratford I guess it would be easier to catch a tour to visit both places in a day.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
390 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day tour out of London?

Laura, we are planning a day trip to York. We leave from King's Cross in the morning. Take the 2-hr train to York. I hear all the major attractions are in walkable distance. I have a 3yr old with me. We are thinkiing of going to York Minster, rail museum, Jorvik. We might one more to this. And then go shop in the Christmas market and catch the 6:30-7pm train back into London.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: day tour out of London?

On crutches, I wouldn't go to York there is a lot of walking involved and there are cobbled streets galore.

You may be better to do an organized tour that is geared towards those with dissabilities or the aged ( sorry!), but I know nothing about tours so hopefully someone who does like Adam or Henneth will come along soon and help you out :)

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
384 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: day tour out of London?

Hi anenome - trust me .... I learned very, very fast how to get around (or not) on crutches.

I had to cancel all the walking tours that I had previously made and switch to bus tours (not necessarily for the aged) but certainly a mode of site seeing that didn't require me to struggle with crutches.

:-)

ontario
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: day tour out of London?

Alright then....how about Bath? Would that be a better choice?

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: day tour out of London?

Bath is built around steep hills so I think you would make better use of the open top bus tour and get on and off at various locations. To see the Royal Crescent and the Assembly Rooms it will be a long uphill walk from the railway station.

Tourist destinations like York, Oxford, Stratford and Cambridge all have frequent tour buses travelling around the city and pick up from the railway station. Sadly most railway stations are located a good 5 to 15 minute walk from the historic areas. Try the City Sightseeing website for more suggestions.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,849 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day tour out of London?

Laura,

Bath would be a good choice as the journey time from Paddington is only 90 minutes, it's not that big, the station is fairly central and the double decker tour buses pick up from there. You will still have some walking but it's certainly doable.

Amongst the sights are The Roman Baths, The Abbey, The Museum of Costume in The Assembly Rooms, The Royal Crescent and The Circus.

You could also look at www.visitbath.co.uk for more ideas and try posting on the Bath Forum. Nolana, the Bath expert, is a fount of knowledge.