We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couchsurfing

nanaimo
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Couchsurfing

My boyfriend and I are 49 and 50 and want to do some couchsurfing as we make our way through the UK and a few nights in Paris and Amsterdam. Haven't travelled much at all. Need to save some money and would prefer to stay with locals....yes, i've checked out specific sites for couchsurfing, but want to know if anyone has any other ideas, contacts, etc. that I could consider.

We're taking 5 weeks and will be in the following places: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Portsmouth, Cowes......

All ideas (and invitations) would be welcome!

I can provide bios and impeccable references....

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couchsurfing

Okay, so I had to look it up....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CouchSurfing

"Formerly uninformed" Beeks

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couchsurfing

Hiya! Have you tried the Single Travel Forum? They have some good (and some bad, occasionally) ideas on cheap ways of travelling. You might not be travelling solo but you could get inspiration from their tips.

nanaimo
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Couchsurfing

thanks. did you mean single travel websites? or is there a forum on this site for single travellers?

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couchsurfing

Ooooops! I forgot to add the link: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12357-Solo_Tra…

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couchsurfing

Well, you learn something new every day. Meanwhile, here are some useful websites for couchsurfing London:

gumtree.com/london/couch-surfing-north_4899_…

www.gumtree.com/london/43/40408643.html

http://www.couchsurfing.org/mapsurf.html

Good luck!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,952 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couchsurfing

There is also a Bargain Travel Forum on Trip Advisor. I met Ktowntravllr, one of their DEs and a compatriot of yours, at a TALF Meet and her ability to stretch her travel money was very impressive.

She was also a delightful person.

nanaimo
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Couchsurfing

thanks. i just sent a detailed message to her

( Ktowntravllr) and I look forward to her reply.

Thanks for the contact...

8. Re: Couchsurfing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 02, 2010