We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow departure tax

Mid Glamorgan
Level Contributor
252 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow departure tax

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how much the local airport tax is at Heathrow please, as I've had a price for a flight off an airline, but it says local airport tax is not included.

Thanks

Wendy

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from $126.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
441 reviews
from $104.80*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,073 reviews
from $148.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from $100.50*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,627 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow departure tax

There are no extra taxes or fees charged at the airport for departure at LHR. If you're booking a ticket, the final price will show taxes and fees where applicable; most airlines have a breakdown of what's charged and by whom or which organisation.

To what destination are you planning to travel and with what airline from LHR?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,023 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow departure tax

The 'departure tax' is something Gordon Brown introduced. I think its called APD (Air Passenger Duty).

It's included in the price you pay the airline, and should be itemised separately on purchase.

It varies depending on the class of seat and distance flown. There's no local tax for Heathrow. Some airports, eg Norwich and Blackpool have introduced local taxes.

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow departure tax

It is $120.00 USD if traveling to the United States. Different prices if going inside Europe.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,015 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow departure tax

That may be the case but I think EU law states that all airlines MUST list the total price including all taxes as a base price. Unless the OP comes back to explain who the airline is and what they say, I don't think we can comment further.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,627 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow departure tax

The APD for flights from the UK is currently £40 for pax travelling in Economy; pax in J or F pay a slightly (considerably) higher fee. There is also a UK Passenger Service Charge of £21.20 for all pax.

The fuel surcharge varies from one class of service to another as well as whether a flight's duration is under nine hours or more than nine hours.

Mid Glamorgan
Level Contributor
252 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow departure tax

Hi,

Many thanks for the quick replies. I'm hoping to book the flights direct with Qantas, we're going Heathrow / Hong Kong / Brisbane / Bangkok and back to Heathrow. I've always booked through travel agents before, but thought it would work out cheaper to do it direct myself this time, but am still a bit nervous about doing it as it's for our 40th wedding anniversary and don't want to mess it up. They say the price includes surcharges, fees and taxes except local airport taxes which are collected at time of check-in.

Regards

Wendy

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,015 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow departure tax

Those taxes will I think be for airports abroad. You could ask for more information on the airport forum.

Mid Glamorgan
Level Contributor
252 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow departure tax

Thanks Adam, I'll do that.

Wendy

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,627 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow departure tax

There are a handful of taxes and fees attached to such a booking: UK APD is £80, UK Passenger Service Charge is £38.10; there are a handful of fuel surcharges plus a HKG Departure tax (which will be included in the fare) of HKD120.

There are Australian Domestic and International Passenger Surcharges, depending on the routing from BNE. The actual fares are on the low side, but the add-ons are bleedin' enormous.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow departure tax

Bev

All of the airport departure/landing taxes, fees & surcharges for the UK & Australia will be included in the total price of your ticket also including airline fuel surcharges.

What I think they are talking about is a local airport tax when departing from Bangkok which is payable in cash when you are checking in. When we came through in 2006 it was about AUD$15.00 per person so around £7 or £8. I believe that this tax is still payable but don't know if it has increased or not.

Not sure about Hong Kong as I haven't been through there for a long time. Worth checking it out though as it is a real pain to suddenly have to find the cash when you have tried to use up your local currency.

Just to add the Thai tax is only applicable if you are stopping over not just transiting.