We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A NEVER BEFORE asked Travel Card Question

New Jersey USA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Topic
A NEVER BEFORE asked Travel Card Question

Can I purchase a travel card at the rail station for myself, husband and daughter, or will they both have to be present at the time of purchase?

And is Euston considered an overland rail station that sells paper travel cards with the 2 for 1 offers?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
416 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A NEVER BEFORE asked Travel Card Question

I thought the question was going to be: Are travel cards tasty..?

New Jersey USA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A NEVER BEFORE asked Travel Card Question

Oh, No!!!

Does that mean all those rumors I've been hearing about how fabulous the food is in London now are wrong?

I was looking forward to a better gastronomic experience this time around. 17 years ago I would have eaten my travel card if it hadn't been plastic.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
416 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A NEVER BEFORE asked Travel Card Question

I've noted a terrific improvement in cuisine since my first trip in 1984.... Dig in...!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A NEVER BEFORE asked Travel Card Question

Paper Travelcards are high in fibre; although not a significant source of nutritional value they will add a few trace elements to one's daily needs. I should think the magnetic strip would be a bit hard on one's teeth, though.

You should be able to buy paper Travelcards for more than one person at a rail station ticket office. If the person at window 1 says no then wait a few minutes and try window 7 or 8.

Euston is a rail station (the Underground station is downstairs) and yes, you can purchase paper Travelcards at the booking office there.

London, UK
Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A NEVER BEFORE asked Travel Card Question

It is possible to buy train tickets/travelcards without having every passenger at the station at the time. If your daughter is able to qualify for child tickets however, they MAY need to see her, but it is still possible for them to sell it to you - though they may give a stern warning that only a child can use the ticket...

Don't forget there are also plenty of ticket machines at every station you go to these days - incl. Euston (which yes, is an overland rail station) which can give you train tickets and paper travelcards.

However, I'd recommend getting a travelcard put on an oyster card as it's less likely to get lost - the paper ones are extremely flimsy and liable to be lost/torn. Not a lot of Londoners know you can do this - I have my annual season ticket on an oyster card but see many fellow commuters with scraggly pieces of paper that need replacing every two months (as happened to a former flat-mate of mine!).

PLEASE NOTE that the 2 for 1 offers are for use with TRAIN tickets and NOT Travelcards. Your train journey can be short/cheap/not related to the location of the event or place you are visiting though...

Have a great trip.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A NEVER BEFORE asked Travel Card Question

CocoaBelle,

You are absolutely correct in saying that Oyster Cards are the way to go for most of us but visiting tourists who want to use the 2for1 offers need to buy paper travelcards from mainline stations hence the original question.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A NEVER BEFORE asked Travel Card Question

< < I'd recommend getting a travelcard put on an oyster card as it's less likely to get lost - the paper ones are extremely flimsy and liable to be lost/torn> >

tosh and piffle this is in all probability for a week or less not months and why would it be any more likely to get lost its the same size ! they also aren't 'extremely flimsy' I often buy weekly ones use several times a day never even had a tear.

Also you say the 2 4 1 is only for rail tickets again tosh and piffle AFAIK travel cards with the logo on bought from a rail station like euston are valid or how come of the thousands of people who previously bought one on advice here for 241 not a single one ever came back with a compliant?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A NEVER BEFORE asked Travel Card Question

Gosh Joe you sure know how to welcome a local who, having gotten advice from other fora, has turned to their own in an attempt to help visitors.

I don't know how you manage to keep paper Travelcards so pristine but for a goodly number of people in the groups I take around London their paper cards has become so dog eared by the end of day one that they have to use the manned gates.

London, UK
Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A NEVER BEFORE asked Travel Card Question

Well, the train station 2 for 1 offers require a TRAIN ticket so frankly, if people have got AWAY with a travelcard in the past they have been VERY lucky. Also, please note that I did say - get a travelcard, and you can ALSO get a train ticket to use the 2 for 1 offers - in fact I specifically said that the train ticket can be for a short journey (e.g. Clapham Junction to Waterloo - about £2.00) and that ticket could be used to benefit from any of the 2 for 1 offers (Tower of London, Vinopolis whatever - regardless of the fact that Waterloo isn't the nearest station) - the whole point of the offer is to encourage TRAIN usage. (And yes, I KNOW you can use a travelcard on trains - but that isn't the point of the offer).

Regarding using an oyster card for the travel card rather than relying on a paper one I will say this:

oyster cards are far more sturdy than paper ones, in my expereince there is less chance of losing it if it's in a card format. It's easier to put in a wallet (as it's just like a credit card) and more durable - when a tourist, carrying a day bag, shopping bags, kids stuff, camera etc. etc. I think I'd prefer not to worry about where that fiddly little bit of paper went (esp. as losing it could mean the loss of £18.40 (3 day zones 1-2) which may not be a lot to you but could be to some. Also NONE of us know how long the poster is planning on staying in London for. I merely pointed out that a travel card CAN go on an oyster card, which isn't commonly known. Personally I think the NYC Metro cards are great as they are made of a lightweight plastic, no tearing or ripping possible, and again easier to put away in a wallet than a paper ticket. But that is my opinion just as your opinion is that what I am saying is tosh.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,773 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A NEVER BEFORE asked Travel Card Question

I used to have an ANNUAL paper Travelcards and never needed to replace them. I kept them in proper holders when not in use and never had a problem.