We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for London hotels GBP40 - GBP60 a double...

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
RSA
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Topic
Recommendations for London hotels GBP40 - GBP60 a double...

My wife & I will be in London towards the middle of October 2005 and our travel agent wants to book us into either the Tavistock or Hyde Park Paddington Hotels. I have read read some disturbing reports on these hotels in Tripadvisor, and therefore need some urgent alternative suggestions.

We would like a room with a double bed or two single beds, a bath, with or without breakfast.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for London hotels GBP40 - GBP60 a double...

If you put Tavistock into the search function, you'll find that quite a few London Forumers have stayed there and liked it very much.

Sooner Nation
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for London hotels GBP40 - GBP60 a double...

Yeah, I'm not sure what "disturbing" things you've read about the Tavistock. I've re-read the reviews and only found one unfavorable. I'm a pretty picky person when it comes to hotels, and we loved the Tavistock. It's no frills, but you have everything you need, and huge bathrooms. It's one of the cleanest hotels I've stayed at, and the staff, location, and price for what you get just can't be beat!

We spent our first three nights here and paid $88 a night. We spent the last three nights at the Royal Horseguards and paid over $250 a night, and to be honest, while the Horseguards was a nicer looking room (way more frills), I found the Tavistock room to be in better/cleaner condition.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for London hotels GBP40 - GBP60 a double...

Without getting into specifics of individual hotels look at these chain hotels: travelodge.co.uk / premiertravelinn.co.uk / accor.com and the holiday inn (ichotels.com?)sites as there are quite a lot of places in that price range. All these hotels are a pretty good standard, you may not have a pool or top restaurant, but I prefer to eat out, after all theres enough choice! I'm taking a family of four from 29-31 Oct into london for £55 a night, the family rooms have varied from £50-65 mainly - obviously you can pay more. Or If you don't mind a room without windows then our budget airline easyjet have started an easyhotel - see easyjet.com! ( about £45/night). Once you have selected a hotel check the reviews on here.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,447 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for London hotels GBP40 - GBP60 a double...

As others have said The Tavistock is a very good budget choice. Bloomsbury is a very pleasant area as well with good transport links.

If you prefer to be in the Paddington/North Hyde Park area then you could consider The Blakemore or The Duke of Leinster but frankly many of the hotels in that area at that price range are pretty basic. If you can get the Tavistock for £60.00 per night then I would go for it.

RSA
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for London hotels GBP40 - GBP60 a double...

Thanks for all of the helpful comments. We will spend more if it is needed.

I have just emailed a friend in Manchester for any ideas that she has for London Hotels

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for London hotels GBP40 - GBP60 a double...

I also decided to avoid the Hyde Park Hotel and have booked at the Cardiff Hotel in Paddington. Y' know, I've read both good and bad about that place too, but you need to know what to expect with many of these older hotels in London. Filthy, noisy rooms are one thing, which hotels don't have to be..but alot of the complaints about these places are about things that almost run across the board..the rooms are small..very small, and the little bathrooms ensuite are really dinky. In fact, to save some money, I have chosen a room with only the shower, bathroom down the hall. I did that last time I stayed at a hotel in London and it really didnt turn out to be that big a deal in the end..as long as you KNOW before hand what to expect.

The Cardiff also offers a full English breakfast every day included and is way under $100 a night. We'll see..I found them to be VERY quick to respond to e-mails with all my questions and friendly (and spoke good english) on the phone.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for London hotels GBP40 - GBP60 a double...

Sounds like Tavistock is worth knowing about.

Britfan