We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube and Train to Hampton Court Palace

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tube and Train to Hampton Court Palace

I'd like to visit Hampton Court Palace via tube and DLR/train. Is it hard to transfer at Wimbilton? Are they still having delays? Also, is Hampton Court Palace a full day affair?

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tube and Train to Hampton Court Palace

It is very easy to transfer from the underground to the train at Wimbledon Station. You'll have to walk up and down some steps to a different platform but they're all in the same station.

You may be able to get a small reduction on the entrance charge if you have a train ticket, or a travelcard bought at a rail station.

I think the palace is worth about 4 hours but others stay longer.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tube and Train to Hampton Court Palace

You could just about spend a full day at Hampton Court if you took time to explore the gardens and the maze but equally a half day might be enough for some. It does depend on your interests.

The best route would depend on where in central London you are starting from. Trains go from Waterloo and the journey takes 30-35 minute possibly with a change at Surbiton. This weekend there are no delays so the same route could be taken. If you are staying near Earls Court it might be quicker to take a District line to Wimbledon where it's an easy change to the train. From Wimbledon it's 20 minutes and then a five minute walk across the bridge to the palace.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tube and Train to Hampton Court Palace

Dear Everyone:

Just got back from London. We took the train from Waterloo station to Hampton Court Palace. It was easy and for the three of us (2 seniors, one adult all with travelcards) it only cost 7.95 total. You put the travel card in the turnstiles and not the two tickets that the ticket man gives you. No one ever check our tickets but don't risk it!

We could have spent the whole day at Hampton Court Palace! It was great. My Mom especially enjoyed the re-enactors who led us on tours. I'd would also take a picnic and not use the restaurant. We went for a ride in the carriage too which was great for my mobility impaired Dad (you have to be able to get into the carriage).

Good luck!

winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tube and Train to Hampton Court Palace

Thank you for reporting back dbnea. Sounds like you had a great time. Hampton Court Palace is high on my list of must-sees so good to know you enjoyed it and it was easy to get to.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tube and Train to Hampton Court Palace

i was thinking when to go to Hampton Court as i have a week in London starting tomorrow. I presume weekends will be more crowded?

London
Level Contributor
971 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tube and Train to Hampton Court Palace

You can also get the tube - Victoria line to Vauxhall and get the overland train direct from there. Waterloo is not always the easiest station to get to at the weekends, the Jubilee line for example is often suspended!

Siesta Key, Florida
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tube and Train to Hampton Court Palace

dbnea,

Quick question...when you say "it only cost 7.95 total" did you mean the additional train fare (you stated you used your Travelcard) or entrance fees for the three of you with your Travelcards?

What machine do you speak of that you put in your Travelcard tickets into versus "the two tickets" by which I assume you mean the entrance tickets?

Sorry if I sound daft!

Thank you kindly, Claire

Bay Shore, New York
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tube and Train to Hampton Court Palace

<<You can also get the tube - Victoria line to Vauxhall and get the overland train direct from there. Waterloo is not always the easiest station to get to at the weekends, the Jubilee line for example is often suspended!>>

if you go this route -- can you just use a Travelcard the whole time? would you need a travelcard that was purchased for Zones 1-6?

dh and i will likely buy a 7 day travelcard when we go on our trip to take advantage of 2for1 specials - we only plan on leaving zones 1-2 for the most part, for a day at Hampton Court and a daytrip to maybe Bath & Stonhenge that we have to schedule so we are trying to figure out the best Travelcard and such.

TIA!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tube and Train to Hampton Court Palace

With a seven day Travelcard for zones 1 - 6 costing £47.60 versus the seven day card for zones 1 and 2 at £25.80, the £6.50 return from Waterloo to Hampton Court isn't a bad fare.

If you show your Travelcard at Waterloo or start at Vauxhall you'll save a couple of pounds on the fare, as the ticket will take into account your having paid for zones 1 and 2, so even a better deal than the six zones Travelcard.

And even if the Jubilee line isn't running, the Northern and Bakerloo lines run to Waterloo; there are a great many buses from central London which call at the station as well.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
416 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tube and Train to Hampton Court Palace

TravellerPlus....

More great advice.... thanks.... I didn't realize that by showing your travelcard you would get that "discount" for the pre-purchased zones...... We're taking the train from Waterloo to HCP on our next trip....

You should be a destination expert or something...!