We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm currently reading...

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
I'm currently reading...

I'm currently reading Choral Pepper's "Walks in Oscar Wilde's London", the "London Encyclopedia" and "Pepys' Diary to gear up for my November trip to London. I'm always looking for new titles to feed my London obsession. Any suggestions for new reading material, apart from the usual guidebooks?

Thanks and cheers!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from $127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from $106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from $150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from $302.90*
$336.60
Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
100 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm currently reading...

i know it isnt really about London. and it isnt Non-Fiction, either.

but......

i LOVE "The Thin Woman" by Dorothy Cannell. it is a british mystery, based in the English countryside; hilarious! read the "Widows Club" when finished with Thin Woman. it's great!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm currently reading...

I am about to read donny osmonds book....I met him yesterday and am still buzzing :)...again not london but hey ho it made my year

anyone looking for a good airplane book to read try the time travellers wife it's fab!

England
Level Contributor
340 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm currently reading...

Pinkfluffy - I was half way through the Time Traveler's wife and then left it on the plane by mistake. I was so cross. He'd married Clare and they were trying for a baby, and until I have the time to go and buy another book, I won't know the ending. It was a very original read and I was just getting into it. I figured Gomez might be the spanner in the works but don't tell me!

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
100 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm currently reading...

you know, i ahve always wanted to read Time Travelers wife. just havent gotten around to it..... i will pick it up next time at a bookstore!

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm currently reading...

Hi, BerkeleyTraveler: I love these kinds of posts. Put "suggested travel reads for the trip" into the search box, and you'll pull up a great old thread. In addition, I've been reading:

Vanity Fair (Thackery). A classic because it deserves to be.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night Time (Mark Haddon). Only partly set in London, although the hero's problems with cash machines, trains and the Tube may ring a bell with some.

The Complete Jack The Ripper (Donald Rumbelow). A good start for the Ripper story.

The Autobiography of Henry VIII (Margaret George). A really good read, easy fictionalized history.

The Crimson Petal and the White (Michael Faber) Victorian London.

The Other Boleyn Girl (Phillipa Gregory). According to Internet Tudor sites, this one is too fictionalized and makes unsupported claims, but it's still a good read. I want to see Greenwich now.

London, The Biography (Peter Ackroyd). Daunting. It's not really a linear history, so I find it hard to follow. I do plan to read the law chapters, though.

Sitting on the nightstand: Katherine (Anya Seton). Another classic, fictionalized history, this time of Katherine Swynford, wife of John of Gaunt, sister-in-law of Chaucer, eventually great grandmother of henry VIII. I like this stuff.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm currently reading...

Thank you, everyone, for some great tips. I'll start browsing in my local bookstores this weekend!

Cheers.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm currently reading...

Kalypso,

Last time I was in London I finally made it out to Greenwich. Absolutely worth the visit. I especially wanted to see it because of its ties to Pepys. But even if one does not have an interest in naval history, Pepys or in Greenwich meantime, it is still worth a trip because of the beautiful setting.

Cheers!

With my nose in a...
Level Contributor
776 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm currently reading...

girlmanc I loved the Time Travellers Wife!! You'll have to pick up another copy or borrow it from the library!

I shouldn't admit this but I'm currently reading the new Harry Potter! I'm a child at heart!

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
582 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm currently reading...

I'm currently reading "The Crimson Petal and the White."

Other London/England books I recently read were "The Queen's Fool" by Philippa Gregory, "Fingersmith" by Sarah Waters, and "Atonement" by Ian McIwan.

Landan, be proud :-) ...lots of us read the Harry Potter series. DH and I couldn't wait for the kids to finish so we could read it! All four of us had finished within a week or so of release.

Happy reading!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm currently reading...

There is a new book out by Tom Quinn called Eccentric London that looks good. Also, Original London Walks walks.com has an Eccentric London walk every Friday afternoon. One of my favorite of the OLW.

Also, you might bring up one of my old threads "What is your favorite bookstore in London". A lot of very good suggestions on bookstores in London. One of these years my entire holiday will be the bookstores of London!