We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Eye

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
London Eye

Does any one else agree with me that it's a blight on the landscape of the Westminster area? I don't care for seeing a giant ferris wheel near the Abbey, Parliament, etc.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Eye

Sorry Mark, I disagree with you for the first time. It is one of the few Millennium projects in London that is both popular and works!

I may be wrong but in 10 years time it will be as much a part of London to tourists as Tower Bridge.

London & Bangkok...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London Eye

just next to the Parliament is a modern hotel Portcullis House for MPs and just opposite on the other side of Tames is a brick of St Thomas' Hospital. This same in the City - skyscrapers next to 16th century houses.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
78 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Eye

They said the same thing about the Eiffel Tower. With 115+ years to adjust, most Parsiens have accepted the landmark.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London Eye

It'll take a bit of getting used to, but it will blend in within time. After all the Eiffel Tower was meant to be temporary, just like the London Eye, yet it is as important to the Paris landscape as Notre Dame or the Sacre Couer. Mind you, I'm a stick in the mud when it comes to change....new Wembley stadium, different St. Pancras....not happy.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Eye

For those of you into Football, the new Wembley Stadium Arch is already towering over the North London skyline. It is taller than the London Eye and looks very impressive. You can see it from the Eye on a clear day. The stadium is on schedule amazingly!

London, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London Eye

Sorry to disagree...However, don't get me started on the Millenium Dome...

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Eye

When I first saw pictures of the Eye: it looked totally incongrous, inappropriate, and just plain weird and stupid to me at first. But slowly....ever so slowly....I came to fall in love with it, and I"m still not exactly sure why.

My favorite things about it as a landmark:

1) It moves. I came to see it as sort of a watch mainspring ticking away the moments on an otherwise static architectural landscape. Always the same....yet always different. Marking the passage of time...and history.

2) It's fanciful...in contrast to the very serious business going on around it. The levity is refreshing. After a certain point, it came to sit much more lightly on its site than I had originally perceived.

3) It's respectful: It's only functional purpose is to let you see everything around it. In that sense, it is a testament to the importance and beauty of Westminster.

4) The ride is magical. It just is. Quiet, smooth, ever changing, fascinating, enlightening, fun...a little scary, meditative -- and always different depending on the time of day, the weather, and your capsule mates.

I ended up riding it three times my last visit.... I fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

Reigate, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Eye

I think the London Eye is great!! It certainly seems to be a unique success - certainly miles better than the white elephant that is the Dome. I can see it from my office too - I think it looks striking and hope it stays in place for many years to come.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Eye

I have been to London many times, and last year was my first time on the London Eye - I loved it. My only problem with it is you can't see the Tower of London from the top of the eye! As a visitor to London, I spend lots of time underneath on the tube - which means that you get places fast but you miss alot of the layout of London. Riding on the eye was a whole new perspective from the top.

Beachside Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London Eye

Just got back from a trip to London with my teenaged son and we loved the London Eye. I booked it for our first night and it really gave us some perspective on the city as a whole. Since we live in a rather small Florida seacost town, just seeing the bright city lights spead out before him impressed my son greatly. I booked one of the dinner packages and I also can recommend this. Considering the price of meals in London, this package was a bargain.