We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Needed- Proper Host Gift for Someone Hosting Girl...

Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Help Needed- Proper Host Gift for Someone Hosting Girl...

Our American Girl Scout troop has been invited to stay in the homes of Girl Guides and their families in and around London next summer after a worldwide Girl Scout/Girl Guide camp event we will be attending has ended.

I would like recommendations for proper host/hostess gifts to show our appreciation to the families that will be inviting us and our girls into their homes for a space of three to five days.

Also, our girls range in age from eleven to eighteen years. Are there any differences in etiquette or household operations between an American and British household that would be useful in explaining to the girls (and accompanying adults) to help them to not offend or embarass themselves or their hosts?

All advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help Needed- Proper Host Gift for Someone Hosting Girl...

Call me Hyacinth....the ex hus used to hold his knife like a pencil, and it drove me doolally. However.

pr1nc3ss, you and your troop might find a few other pitfalls at table - some refer to the sweet course at the end of a meal as pudding, even if it's a bowl of crumble, a piece of cake, or a slice of banoffee pie. Also, there's a nifty way of eating pudding with a spoon and fork - you'll know it when and if you see it.

As far as house presents go, anything with pecans would v likely go over a treat, as would GS cookies.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,293 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help Needed- Proper Host Gift for Someone Hosting Girl...

Nice one, Mrs Buckett!! Pudding is also called dessert.

What would also be nice, and wouldn't cost the earth, would be to get some of the local Tourist Information brochures about the area in which you live. And maybe a nice book about where you live as well. Most girls of that age I know (including my own 13 y/o) aspire to travelling the world. This might make enjoyable reading for both parents and fellow guides.

Take care.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Help Needed- Proper Host Gift for Someone Hosting Girl...

For the girls themselves, don't forget to bring over some of your badges, I'm sure they'll love comparing them with ours over here. I agree with the Girl Scout Cookies too - we don't have them over here, only a cake mix for Brownie brownies or cookies (the unit that is younger than Guides).Pecans and pralines will be most welcome too I'm sure.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Help Needed- Proper Host Gift for Someone Hosting Girl...

I can't recall ever hearing that younger guides were called Brownies. That's what younger Girl Scouts are called too. Since my day they've added Daisy troops for even younger girls.

As far as bringing Girl Scout cookies as gifts goes, unless things have changed, they're not available throughout the year. The troops sell them once a year & that's it. And, naturally, I missed them this year!

Regarding the fork & knife thing. If you watch people in restaurants you could always pick-out Americans 'cos no other country seems to do the hand switch, tines-up thing. I can't imagine why it started. It's something I don't do anymore, at least not while I'm eating out or at someone's home. I'm not sure if I slip back into my childhood ways when I'm at home; I like to think I don't.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,293 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help Needed- Proper Host Gift for Someone Hosting Girl...

Janie - Brownies are for 7-10 y/os, Guides for 11-14 y/os and the youngest 5-7 y/os have the most wonderful names. Here in Ireland they're called Ladybirds, in Britain they're called Rainbows, in Canada they're called Sparks, in Malta they're called the Dolphins I think. Obviously in the US they're called Daisies. Lovely names, great kids!!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Help Needed- Proper Host Gift for Someone Hosting Girl...

Regarding getting GS cookies out of season - I know my old troop leader used to order extras and freeze them. You might check with your local council to see if there's a way of getting some "out of season"....

-Diana

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Help Needed- Proper Host Gift for Someone Hosting Girl...

Just noticed you said you were going next summer - here in California cookie orders go in in January/February I believe - so you could order and freeze (if you can resist eating them yourself)!

-Diana

Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Help Needed- Proper Host Gift for Someone Hosting Girl...

Thank you all for your advice. All excellent points and ideas! The girls have been reading your ideas and are beginning to collect small items for the girls they meet and plan for a larger gift for their homestay hosts. Thank you again!