We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi cost

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
taxi cost

How does a taxi costs from victoria rail station to euston rail station?

US
Level Contributor
322 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi cost

I'd guess L9. But why not just take the Victoria Line? (Isn't it running?)

Pinky

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,851 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi cost

The Victoria Line is 4 stops away from Euston and would take about 10-12 minutes, certainly quicker than a taxi and cheaper as well at £2.00 per journey.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi cost

Savings to Italian student £7. Hope he/she appreciates your help, folks.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi cost

Most taxi drivers in London are NOT honest. I got ripped off every time I took one. Two group of my friends took two separate taxi to Queen's Gate Garden, ending up paying 6 and 11 pounds for the same journey!

I believe we have been taken for a ride, in a very real literal sense.

It's better to go by the tube.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,140 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi cost

Thames, I suspect you and your friends got into unlicensed minicabs rather than London black cabs, as the fares for the latter are regulated by law and posted at www.tfl.gov.uk.

London black cab drivers must pass a very intensive training course called The Knowledge, where they have to demonstrate an intimate knowledge of London streets, including the quickest way from A to B. Time and/or traffic delays can increase a fare, but overall I can say I've never been overcharged by a black cab for a straightforward journey.

Thames's experience is one more reason to use black cabs, if not a minicab firm that you know and trust - not one selected by someone else.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi cost

Dear Travelplus

I took black cabs all the time. That is why I got so pissed off.

The one good cab driver was a older white gentleman who drove me from Queensgate Garden to Bayswater for dinner. The other guys must have thought I want a free London tour in addition.

Even though I told them in no ambiguous terms where I want to go (Queen's gate Garden? Cromwell Road), I was often given unnecessary turns.

It's not the money, it's the irritation of being viewed as dumb.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi cost

I have a high degree of respect for the black cab drivers. Generally speaking, they're good guys. And they've always driven me across London in time to catch my Paddington train to the airport. As is the case with every vocation in life, there are always a few bad apples. But this is the exception and not the rule. And I've always received value for money from the black cab drivers.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,140 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi cost

A trip through London is rarely a straight shot - getting from Marble Arch to Paddington may not be north on Edgware Road then left on Praed Street if going through the back doubles will get a passenger there faster (with the fare the same).

It's unfortunate you met with some dodgy cabbies, but on the whole London black cab drivers are professionals who are proud of what they do and how well they do it.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi cost

Thames

Don't forget London is not a grid like New York. Taxi drivers know the quickest way around London. That may vary depending on traffic conditions and time of day. Sometimes, I have been in a taxi and we have turned down a strange back street. I have thought at the time "where are we going", however we have always got the the correct place and when I have got home I looked up the route and realised that it was the best at the time.

You have not said what times you travelled to make a difference between £6 and £11. It is quite possible that the same journey could vary this much. The TFL web site shows the fare for a 2 mile journey could vary between £6.20 and £10.40