We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube closures in London this weekend (Feb 21-22)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,629 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Tube closures in London this weekend (Feb 21-22)

The majority of tube lines have closures this weekend. Whilst some involve stretches of line outside the central area some (Circle, District and Jubilee in particular) could well affect your plans so please be aware and allow extra time for your journey.

Bakerloo: Suspended on Sunday between Queen's Park and Harrow & Wealdstone.

Central: Suspended on Sunday between Liverpool Street and Leytonstone

Circle: No service all weekend

District: Suspended all weekend between Embankment and Whitechapel

Hammersmith & City: Suspended on Saturday between Liverpool Street and Barking

Jubilee: No service between Stanmore and Waterloo all weekend

Metropolitan: On Saturday, no service between Wembley Park and Uxbridge, Rickmansworth and Watford and between Aldgate and Moorgate. On Sunday, no service between Wembley Park and Uxbridge, Rickmansworth and Watford

Northern: Suspended all weekend between Morden and Stockwell.

Please do ask if you need assistance or use the excellent journey planner at www.tfl.gov.uk

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,831 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tube closures in London this weekend (Feb 21-22)

And last weekend the Victoria line was closed... some weekends I feel like getting a good book and a box of chocolates and forget about even trying to get anywhere.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,057 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tube closures in London this weekend (Feb 21-22)

Probably the best thing to do is to go to bed with a book. Or with someone who has read one....

3. Re: Tube closures in London this weekend (Feb 21-22)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 pm, February 16, 2009
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tube closures in London this weekend (Feb 21-22)

I am going to be travelling to Southwark Tube on Sunday. Will that affect me? Luckily all our plans involve walking on the Sunday and staying around the Southbank area, but will need to get to Southwark! Either from Kings Cross, Farringdon etc

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,629 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tube closures in London this weekend (Feb 21-22)

jokaty,

That part of the Jubilee line east of Waterloo is running so you can take the Northern line from Kings Cross to London Bridge and either walk from there or change to the Jubilee line for one stop westbound to Southwark.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tube closures in London this weekend (Feb 21-22)

Thankyou! Flaming nightmare tube closures, they want you to use public transport and encourage tourist to visit the city, then make life difficult by shutting down so many different parts of the lines!

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,831 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tube closures in London this weekend (Feb 21-22)

There are also road works at the junction of New Oxford Street/Gower Street so the buses around there are on diversion and fairly snarled up.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tube closures in London this weekend (Feb 21-22)

How and when would you prefer them to do maintenance? During the busier Monday to Friday? Or just to forget about maintenance altogether, and run the tube until something fails, then throw it away?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tube closures in London this weekend (Feb 21-22)

At night when its closed to the public anyway.

I have worked in London, and of course I hated it when it was shut then, but lets be honest, how can we encourage tourists to use our brilliant transport network only to find closure after closure.

I dont think there is an easy solution. But its like my train line, constantly having delays and matenience at the weekends...not very helpful!! No wonder people get in their cars!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tube closures in London this weekend (Feb 21-22)

The forget about maintenance approach was tried for too long - hence the current mess. By the way I believe that the DLR extension to Woolwich Arsenal is now open.