We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Katharines Dock - worth visiting?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne,
Level Contributor
234 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
St Katharines Dock - worth visiting?

Was planning a day to Tower of London,then climb tower bridge,was wondering if its worth wandering over to St Katherines Dock for lunch?Can we pick up a boat there to go back down Thames to Big Ben area?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Katharines Dock - worth visiting?

St Katherine Dock is quite charming when the sun is out on a summer's day, but can be a bit grey and bleak if it's not a nice day.

There are a couple of restaurants there, and a Starbucks right in the middle of it.

You can get a boat to Westminster from Tower Pier, the other side of the Tower from the Dock.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Katharines Dock - worth visiting?

Please give it a chance, it is a beautiful little marina and you will find the best pizza around at the Dickens Inn (pub, restaurant)tucked right back there as well.

Happy Travels!

London, United...
Level Contributor
533 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Katharines Dock - worth visiting?

If you are in the area it is well worth a walk around on a nice day.

If you are there on a Sunday the Tower Hotel does a nice carvery lunch and the bar in the hotel has lovely views of the bridge and along the river.

MP

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Katharines Dock - worth visiting?

St Katherine Docks in nice marina with lively atmosphere on a summer day .. I always love going for walk there ..

There are few restaurants near by The Dickens Inn( must see historic building ), Mala serves grt Indian food and does lunch special ,Tower Thistle Hotel has water cafe with view of thames , Tsunami serve good cocktails and if you cross the tower bridge you could go to Pont de la Tour which has good views( french cuisine)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Katharines Dock - worth visiting?

My friend used to live at St Katherine's Dock and I went to stay with her there last June when the weather was very warm and mostly sunny. It was a lovely view from her flat across the marina and quite entertaining watching "the other half" sunning themselves on their yachts. I can't pass any personal comments about the local restaurants as we didn't go to any while I was there. Friend and her boyfriend did say that most of them weren't really very good value for what you had to pay

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Katharines Dock - worth visiting?

I'll definitely give it a try. It's true that it is better on a sunny day, but I think it is a place you don't expect to find in a big city. Anyway, it's something that won't take you long. After that, walk to Tower Bridge to have a look at the Tower from there or walk the other way, go round the Tower and take a ride on a Routemaster (#15)

Melbourne,
Level Contributor
234 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Katharines Dock - worth visiting?

Thank you everyone-good info.What's a routemaster?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,661 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Katharines Dock - worth visiting?

"What's a routemaster?"

The classic London double decker bus, no longer in service except on two "heritage" routes, the 9 and 15 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routemaster

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,926 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Katharines Dock - worth visiting?

As adamhornets said, a Routemaster is a proper bus, one that is almost instantly recognisable to many when they see pictures of it in London, even if they wouldn't know an RT3 from an RM.

The Routemaster number 15 only goes to the Tower (stop TB), dropping pax at Tower Hill station before making a turnaround. The stop for the retun journey towards Trafalgar Square starts at stop TA.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…toweroflondon-2261.pdf

Travelcards and PAYG on Oyster accepted on Routemaster services. Please do use them, so Boris will keep them on the road.

Melbourne,
Level Contributor
234 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Katharines Dock - worth visiting?

I didn't know anything about routemaster - I love this website, thanks!