We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London 1905

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
London 1905

Yesterday I was looking through one of my favourite old books, Black's Guide to London and Its Environs, 1905, thirteenth edition. I was wondering if one could still use parts of it today.

The top "essential" sights are all the same: the Tower, St Paul's, Wesminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, National Gallery, British Museum etc. You could visit the Tower for free on Mondays and Saturdays but sixpence to visit on other days. It was another sixpence to see the Crown Jewels. St Paul's was mostly free, you paid sixpence to visit the whispering gallery. Madame Tussaud's is there as the Tussaud's Waxworks, newly moved from its previous spot on Baker Street. Queen Mary's Garden in Regent's Park was called the Royal Botanic Garden (not to be confused with the Botanical Gardens). Tower Bridge was only opened in 1894. Pedestrians could "hold on by mounting to the upper galleries. They will be disappointed by the view which might be expected hence, as the sides are shut in so as to give only tantalising peeps of the scene below". However, Black's provides a photograph of London taken from the bridge. What is most striking is how low the height of the buildings and how many, twenty at least, church spires are to be seen sticking up high over the rooftops.

Hotels, they say, are too many to mention. There is a reference to the Russell Hotel in Bloomsbury, "one of the new monster hostelries". In the luxury class are the Savoy, the Cecil and the Carlton. "At such a place one must be prepared to spend at least one pound a day". (Oh, for a time machine!)

Thackeray's Temperance Hotel on Gt Russell Street advertises "passenger lifts, electric light throughout, heated throughout, bathrooms on every floor."

Travel in 1905 was obviously for the well-off. Sampson and Son made special shirts for travelling out of saratta with "soft fronts and stiff cuffs." If you sent Arthur Percy & Co of Argyll St "50 moleskins off your own estate" they would make you a moleskin waistcoat "ideal for motoring". No group tours or white tennis shoes were on the horizon.

There is much more in the book but this is getting too long. It seems that although London has changed so much over the years there is still, at its heart, some things which were familiar one hundred years ago, familiar now and, hopefully, will be familiar 100 years from now.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,440 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London 1905

How wonderful. So many things change yet others stay the same like The Burlington Arcade which must look almost identical now to the day it was built.

More snippets when you have the time please Molly.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London 1905

Excellent insights Dancingmolly. Have you read Fingersmith yet ? Suspect you would enjoy it hugely.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London 1905

This is very interesting...yes, please share more...

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London 1905

I am glad you enjoyed the excerpts. The next bit will be about transportation.

Insightful: more detail, please.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London 1905

Fingersmith is the novel by Sarah Waters, set in the Victorian London of 1862. Echoes of Oliver Twist and the Dickensian take on the thieves who thrived in the narrow cobbled streets of the capital city. Great read. Recently dramatised in the form of a television series. Probably available from a bookshop in Santiago. If not, worth ordering on Amazon. You will not regret decision to purchase same.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London 1905

Thanks very much Insightful. I'll have to order it as bookshops in Stgo. carry few books in english. At the moment I am reading London, which I found at a second hand bookshop here. Eventually everything washes up onshore at the end of the world.