We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelcard shock

Brisbane
Level Contributor
156 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travelcard shock

After reading the recent posts on the travelcard I faxed London Transport to see if I could purchase a 7 day Zone 1 travelcard on arrival at Heathrow.

I have just received an email reply and no multi-day travelcards are available to visitors apparently - unless these are purchased online with exhorbitant overseas delivery fees. Also the Zone 1 travelcard is not available this way - only the Zone 1-6 travel card which is double the cost.

Anyway, we leave soon and there is no time to order one.

London transport should update its website. I had checked it out carefully (I thought) and there was no indication that these restrictions applied.

Toronto, Ottawa
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Travelcard shock

Ha. I think it happened again mick67. Thanks again.

This posting thread was most helpful. Though sometimes I wonder if I get equal parts help/assistance from these forums and equal parts anxiety at thinking about all different things like transportation, clothes, sights, currency etc...haha. In the end I guess it's a good kind of anxiety to have since it relates to planning a vacation!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,171 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Travelcard shock

I feel guilty here as I have obviously worried people re the introduction of the Oyster Card whereas the intention was to advise you of the changes.

Despite my misgivings as to whether Transport for London has thought through the whole thing in the long term, I should stress that you will have absoloutely NO problems in obtaining an Oyster Card 7 day travelcard when you get to London.

All central stations will have of plenty of staff to advise, help and point you to the best deal for your stay. All stations have a manned gate in addition to the unmanned barriers so you will never get stuck if a ticket (of any sort!) doesn't work.

Toronto, Ottawa
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Travelcard shock

No need for guilt adam...your posts were most helpful, regarding the travelcard and otherwise. And thanks for the added reassurance regarding the oyster card and getting help on arrival. Much appreciated.