We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone used Backroads Touring in UK?

Santa Monica, CA
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone used Backroads Touring in UK?

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering booking a tour with Backroads Touring of the UK, and was wondering if anyone out there has ever heard anything about them?

Thanks in advance!!

Linda

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
43,100 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone used Backroads Touring in UK?

I've never used them but I hear good things about them and the owner seems very efficent and pleasant.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone used Backroads Touring in UK?

Good friends used them 2 years ago and loved it for a tour of the Lake district. They are planning on using them again for another trip next year....as soon as they can decide where they would most like to go.... so I guess that's a fairly strong endorsement.

Mentioned in this post
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Santa Monica, CA
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone used Backroads Touring in UK?

Thank you both for the great info.

I just booked with backroads for the "Land of the Red Dragon" 4 day tour as an add-on to our London trip. Can't wait to go to Cotswolds!!

Will definitely report on how it goes.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,385 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone used Backroads Touring in UK?

You're only passing through the Cotswolds on the way to Wales on that tour. Are you sure you booked the right one?

Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Santa Monica, CA
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone used Backroads Touring in UK?

Hi Trillian,

Yes, I don't think we get to spend any length of time in Cotswolds. Which is okay, I guess.

We kind of wound up with the Red Dragon by default because our first and second choices were already full. Oh well, next time! :-(

Cheers,

Linda

Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
united kingdom
Level Contributor
748 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone used Backroads Touring in UK?

I hope you have a wonderfull time in the land of the Red Dragon there some wonderfull places to see. If you get the chance Take the steam railway trip up Mt Snowden well worth it

Hope you can understand the lingo, and dont take too much notice of of those massages painted on those dry stone walls everywhere ( well they seem to be everwhere)

English B------- ( illagitmates ) Go Home. They only realy want to stop us buying their houses up and only useing them for a few weeks a year. They mean well realy

Mentioned in this post
The English Restaurant
The English Restaurant
334 Reviews
London, UK
Sylva, North...
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone used Backroads Touring in UK?

I just saw this post. My sister and I traveled with Backroads in early June and had a wonderful time! The guide was very knowledgeable and accomodatiing. He let us add things to the tour that we particularly wanted to see. I will certainly go with them again in the future as I like the idea of small, flexible groups and an easy paced trip.

Santa Monica, CA
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone used Backroads Touring in UK?

Thanks for the great info!

Maturetraveller, do you remember if Backroads strictly enforced the one piece of luggage policy?

We are going on the tour towards the end of our stay in London, and I'm afraid I might accumulate an additional piece of luggage.

Cheers,

Linda

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,430 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone used Backroads Touring in UK?

You could park your extra bags at Excess Baggage if you need to before you head out for Wales.

Friends have used Backroads twice and were very happy with them. Their only complaint was the bus was not up to par on the last tour (uncomfortable, not very clean).

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,430 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone used Backroads Touring in UK?

NotATrollop. What an, um, unusual forum name. I am dying to know how you came to choose it.