We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers' Cheques - encashing in US airports? Or LGW? or...

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers' Cheques - encashing in US airports? Or LGW? or...

Hey guys, I just realised... quelle surprise.... I have 200$ worth of TC's in my passport case. I'm trying to figure out where that came from, I have a hunch it's TCs I'd taken 2 yrs ago hoping to use on my Thailand trip but ended up using my credit card instead.

Anyway, my question is, where do you think I'll get a good exchange of TCs for Pound notes - at the TC exchange centre in US airports (DFW), LGW/LHR or in some place (store, bank, tourist centre) in London city?

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers' Cheques - encashing in US airports? Or LGW? or...

You will get scr#wed for the exchange wherever you go, but the banks would be best.

In fact, why not just turn them into $$$ and spend at home, you won't loose a dime to do that--especially if you take them to the bank they came from.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers' Cheques - encashing in US airports? Or LGW? or...

Never thought of it that way..... you might be right! They're from Bank of America, so yep, I think I'll just do that then.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers' Cheques - encashing in US airports? Or LGW? or...

Spking of which, did someone say here that Grindlays had a tie up with 'Bank of America' and I could use their ATMs for free and draw out GBP?

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers' Cheques - encashing in US airports? Or LGW? or...

Barclays, not Grindlays. Just checked on the BofA webbie.