We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to London in July for Harry Potter Opening!

Southern California
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
Going to London in July for Harry Potter Opening!

I want to travel to London in July 2009, to see the Harry Potter Movie, Half-Blood Prince. I have a limited budget, but would like to stay close to the movie theatre, Odeon, where the opening will be. I need a flight, hotel the works! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,733 Reviews
from $122.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,271 Reviews
from $125.00*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
770 Reviews
from $102.40*
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
1. Re: Going to London in July for Harry Potter Opening!

What if they change the opening night again?

Southern California
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Going to London in July for Harry Potter Opening!

Please Please Please don't say that, or even think it. I want to be there for the opening. I doubt if they will change the date again. It is suppose to be a blockbuster movie! I guess what I am trying to say is, I will go anyway! Cheers

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
3. Re: Going to London in July for Harry Potter Opening!

Can you give us some information on what you mean by limited budget? This will help people to make suggestions. Also, London is very accessible by public transport, so it doesn't matter if you are staying elsewhere, you will still be able to get to Leicester Square, which is where the film premieres are usually held. Will you have tickets to the premiere, or are you planning to try and stand by the barrier? If you are, you will need to get there very very early and possibly take advice from people on film fan forums about the best place to stand in order to be able to see anything. Leicester Square absolutely heaves when there is a properly famous film premiere.

Southern California
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Going to London in July for Harry Potter Opening!

My budget? From $2000-$3000 US Dollars. I know that isn't alot, but that is all I have saved. I do not have opening tickets, but will use your advice to find out more about standing by the barriers to get tickets ahead of time if possible. Cheers

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,283 posts
80 reviews
5. Re: Going to London in July for Harry Potter Opening!

$2000-$3000 per day, per week, what? does that include your airfare? The question wasw how much do you have for accomodation per night?

Also what do you mean about getting tickets for the opening? Do you mean the premier because unless you have some movie connections you have no hope. BTW I was dragged to Leicester Sq at the last premier by my daughter. Spent hours waiting outside. My poor feet.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
6. Re: Going to London in July for Harry Potter Opening!

Just to let you know that standing by the barriers won't be to get you tickets, but will be to allow you a chance to see the stars of the film and their guests. It is unlikely that you will be able to get tickets for the premiere. I could be wrong, but my understanding is that premiere tickets tend to go to the stars, their friends and family, people involved in the making of the film, journalists, competition winners and so on. The premiere is usually held before the film goes on general release, so it's possible that you may be able to see the celebrities, but not the film. I would strongly suggest that you find out more from die hard Harry Potter film fans - they may have more advice about how to get hold of a premiere ticket.

The cheapest option for accommodation would be to stay in a hostel. One that might suit you would be the YHA at St. Pancras, which has private rooms and dorms. From there you can catch the tube from Kings Cross St. Pancras station directly to Leicester Sqaure in a few mintues. It's also useful if you fly into Heathrow airport, as you can take the tube from Heathrow to Kings Cross St. Pancras.

It looks like the hostel is closing for refurbishments until April 09, but that would be fine for you:

yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/…index.aspx

There are plenty of other options if this doesn't suit, but I would suggest that since the film seems to be your priority, you start with knowing all the facts about that. A previous poster had planned their family holiday around coming to see the film this Autumn and then the release date was moved. However, they were open to doing other things and asked about Harry Potter related things they could do whilst here. It would be very gutting if you came all the way here to see the film and then couldn't get in, so be sure and do your homework.

Southern California
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Going to London in July for Harry Potter Opening!

Sorry, for the misunderstanding. I have about $100 a nite for accomodations. Since I will be by myself, I would prefer not to stay in a hostel if possible. Cheers to everyone who has posted.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,152 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Going to London in July for Harry Potter Opening!

Leicester Square is not known for its inexpensive real estate, and with the demise of the Regent Palace Hotel a few years ago budget accommodation is thin on the ground in the area.

But you need not stay too far from the Odeon to get a room within your budget. The rather pleasant bed and breakfast hotels along Gower Street are a short bus ride or a bit of a walk from Leicester Square, so you may stll feel in the middle of the fun in the city.

The Ridgemount, Arosfa, Jesmond, Regency House and Arran House are all worth considering, as they have rooms in your price rnnge. Also consider the Morgan Hotel, v popular, on Bloomsbury Street, which is an extension of Gower Street.

As far as a flight goes, wait to book your ticket. Although past performance is no indication of future fares, there have been seat sales in April or May for travel in the summer, so you might be able to swoop in and pick up a swell fare next Spring. Will you depart from LAX?

9. Re: Going to London in July for Harry Potter Opening!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, September 11, 2009