We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should a single 32 year old professional woman stay...

Austin
14 posts
Save Topic
Where should a single 32 year old professional woman stay...

Hello! I am headed to London on Sept 5-8 (Monday-Thursday).

I will be traveling alone. I am a 32 year old woman, and I can spend some money, but I am very practical. I will not be in my room often, but I want it to be clean, safe, and very central to London sightseeing. I also want a private bath. Where should I stay? Thanks for your help! I love reading these forums.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should a single 32 year old professional woman stay...

Hi and welcome to the forum.

My first suggestion would be to get a good guide book and map and have a look at the various neighborhoods and decide which takes your fancy. Anything within the Circle Line can be regarded as central and you should be able to get from a to b inside 30 minutes by bus or tube anywhere within that area.

Among the more popular areas are Westminster, Bloomsbury, Victoria, Kensington and Paddington.

All have some fine hotels and some grotty ones. Use this site's hotel review section to narrow your choice down and then maybe come back here with a short list that we can help whittle down. Most decent hotels nowadays offer full en suite facilities.

Without knowing your budget it is difficult to suggest particular hotels at this stage but there is one in Paddington called The Darlington Hyde Park which prides itself in looking after female travellers and is good value as well. Likewise more and more hotels are offering safety features such as front doors and lifts that only work with key cards.

Hope that gets you started but please don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

San Pablo...
Level Contributor
336 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should a single 32 year old professional woman stay...

I travel alone and have always preferred renting apartments as opposed to staying in hotels. I feel safer at night since I'm staying where people actually live. I also like the option to stay in to eat after a long day on my feet. (Oh, and there is a washer/dryer combo which reduces packing!!).

Last time in London I stayed in Chelsea on Sloane Avenue. The area was great, and close to Sloane Square and South Ken tupbe stations. There is also a bus that runs from Picadilly Circus to within blocks of the building:

holidayapartments.co.uk/html/uk/london/price…

I've used this company twice and they were great.

Terri

Texas
Level Contributor
384 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should a single 32 year old professional woman stay...

I travel alone frequently. I especially like doing London on my own. I like the Victoria Park Plaza. You can read reviews on this web site. I got the best rate by going through British Airways web site.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should a single 32 year old professional woman stay...

I too travel on my own, and have been v happy with two stays at Astons Apartments, near Gloucester Road tube station. The price is right, the suites are immaculate and well stocked, and the neighbourhood quiet and safe. Tube and bus access are excellent - the Piccadilly line runs directly from LHR.

Have a look at www.astons-apartments.com

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should a single 32 year old professional woman stay...

April: I am a single woman, too, and have the same concerns as you so tend to spend a little more for hotel rooms. The hotels I have stayed in the past couple of years that meet your criteria are the Lowndes, DeVere Cavendish, Victoria Park Plaza, Landmark ($$$$) and the Edwardian Radisson (the last two are the most expensive). By the way, British Airways is offering discounts on London hotel rooms right now.

Austin
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should a single 32 year old professional woman stay...

Thanks everyone for your help! One more question....how about Hyde Park Paddington? It is a good deal at $84 USD on expedia, but is it a nice, clean, safe place? I would like to stay at the others, but I will not be in my room much, so I would rather not spend a fortune. Oh, by the way, the Astons apartments looked great also at $95 USD on expedia and www.ba.com. You were the ones who referred that place. I am torn now between these two hotels. The other hotels you all mentioned looked really nice, but a tad more than I want to spend. ;)

I really appreciate your feedback! I can't wait to give everyone a trip report when I return. :)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should a single 32 year old professional woman stay...

There are various different hotels with the name Hyde Park (including The Darlington). Do you know which one you are being offered?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should a single 32 year old professional woman stay...

... Just realised which one Expedia mean. Judging from the reviews, avoid at all costs. Many of those in and around that area can be basic. The Astons is a much safer choice.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should a single 32 year old professional woman stay...

During my solo trips to London, I have stayed at the Darlington and really liked it. They're one of the few places with a security system in place. The only thing you really have to be aware of is the potential for the single rooms to get v. warm. Although you are probably used to heat, being from Texas and all!

Oceano, California
Level Contributor
604 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where should a single 32 year old professional woman stay...

I'm also a 30-something professional woman and traveled to London alone in April. I stayed at The Bonnington in Bloomsbury and the rate was very reasonable, about $110 per night including full breakfast. Rooms tiny but very cozy and the bed and pillow were amazingly comfy. The area is a little quieter but you can easily walk to Oxford street for shopping, Covent Garden, etc.