We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

london to vienna by train?

Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
london to vienna by train?

i am trying to find the best route by train for this trip. is it better to take the eurostar to paris or brussels? what about after that? i have found several options but i am not sure which would be best in terms of time and money... also how do i book tickets ? do i need a printer if i do it online or is there another way? can i get them from travel agencies or would they cost more?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,296 Reviews
from $126.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
475 Reviews
from $105.00*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,093 Reviews
from $134.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 Reviews
from $333.50*
London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: london to vienna by train?

Check www.raileurope.com The cost of a single train ticket is from £286 for a 24 hour journey. Typically travel by Easyjet on 1 November and the price would be about £50 for a two hour flight. Why travel by train when, during changes, you will have to wait two or three hours between trains at some stations.

Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: london to vienna by train?

I'd trust the extensive advice in seat61.com.

Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: london to vienna by train?

"can i get them from travel agencies or would they cost more?"

If you are bothered about the cost you shouldn't be going by train.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,615 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: london to vienna by train?

Not an easy journey. It will either involve an overnight stay in Germany or the Nightliner overnight train from Frankfurt or the Nightliner from Paris to Munich and then on to Vienna in the morning.

Bahn, the German rail site, is normally quite good but even that is not giving a price.

Eurostar are quoting a price to Koln of 63 pounds next month thats via Brussels and then Thalys to Cologne. From there you will have to get to Frankfurt or Munich then the night train.

Might be worth looking at EUrail passes by normally they have suppliments if you are using night & high speed trains like the Eurostar/Thalys/ICE etc.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: london to vienna by train?

Fastest option from DBahn site also involves the least changes - 0805hrs departure from St Pancras changing in Brussels and Frankfurt, arrive Vienna 2326hrs giving journey duration of 14hrs 21min with time change. Routing via Paris is also possible from where there's a daily overnight train to Munich (which I used 4 weeks ago and it's very comfortable). Change of stations from Eurostar terminal to Paris Est (for departures to Germany) is just a 10 minute walk or slightly less.

Remember to watch out for the amended Eurostar timetable currently in operation - check on Eurostar site and use a slightly earlier departure if connections in Brussels or Paris are tight. Timetable for whole trip (subject to Eurostar notes above): reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?

Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,662 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: london to vienna by train?

Many reasons why some may prefer train but yes it's going to cost.

www.seat61.com is a good resource.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: london to vienna by train?

I did in the pre-Eurostar era. IIRC, I got the ferry to Ostend, a night train from their to Munich, and changed at Munich for a train to Vienna.

I think it took 28 hours, but it was in 1986 and my memory has got a bit rusty.

Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: london to vienna by train?

cheeers!! are the sites recommended on seat61 the best places to buy tickets? www.raileurope.co..uk and www.eurostar.com .

can i get a pass from somewhere for this trip? i searched on raileurope 1 day pass for england, france, germany austria but it looks like it's even more costly than the actual tickets . i also see some need printing so what can i do if i don't have a printer? at least i can pick the eurostar tickets at the station ot so i've heard...

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,761 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: london to vienna by train?

I would always start with the assumption that what Man In Seat 61 says is the gospel truth as regards trains.

As for railpasses - why not read what he has to say about them, it's on his website

Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: london to vienna by train?

I came back in the reverse direction from Vienna to London a few weeks ago. A really pleasant trip, but we broke it up with an overnight stay in Cologne, as it would have been a very long day othewise.

In terms of routing there seems to be three options

1: London - Cologne - Frankfurt - Vienna, 2: London - Cologne - Munich - Vienna and 3: London - Paris - Munich - Vienna.

The quickest day time trip I can find leaves London at 8 in the morning and with changes in Brussels, and Frankfurt gets you to Vienna at 11.30 that night, connection times are quite good.

However you might want to consider the scenery on the journey. Between Munich and Vienna we had lovely views of distant mountains which you won't see in the dark on the above timing. However, the highlight of the trip was travelling along the Rhine Valley between Cologne and Frankfurt which was stunning. We took a train direct from Vienna to Cologne, so I assume you could do the same and take the same route in the opposite direction - you need to be on a train that passes through Bonn and Koblenz.

Leaving London around 7 in the morning with changes in Brussels, Cologne and Frankfurt routes you that way, but the connection in Brussels is on the tight side.

As for fares we found that an Inter Rail ticket was actually cheaper and also means you don't have to pay any extra if you split it in to two days, or three if you also want to stop in the likes of Munich or Salzburg. You also wonn't have to pay for any rail trips on from Vienna, a day trip to Budapest is doable.