We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brits go to Brighton

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Brits go to Brighton

Just heard on the News that London attractions are down 30% -not due to the tourists not coming but due to people in the South East of England not doing their daytrips! Come on you Southerners - apparently they are going to Brighton (which is known as London by the sea) Is this true Helking and Bojangles? Have you noticed an increase?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brits go to Brighton

Perhaps some London sights are just too expensive. £14.50 to go into the Tower of London; £14 London Zoo ; £8 St Pauls Cathedral; £11 Madame Tussauds..it can be a very expensive daytrip..although the museums offer remarkable value in London, of course, being mostly free.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brits go to Brighton

The railways have many two for one type offers and I am sure they will continue as the year goes on as Visit London works to get English tourists to come back.

It is actually a lot easier for people (apart from Mr Rose's brother!) to cancel or change plans the nearer you are to London as the cost of cancelling is far less.

The impression I am getting is that our friends from abroad are still coming or are making plans to so do whilst Brits are looking elsewhere.

In the school holidays I guess this is partly understandable. The acid test will be in the autumn with the UK short break market.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brits go to Brighton

I had never been to Brighton so took the train down last week. I really didn't care for it at all. Then I went over to Hove, an entirely different world from Brighton and I loved it there. I know that isn't the real topic of this thread, sorry!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brits go to Brighton

And, of course, remember that the budget airlines, Easyjet & Ryanair, are taking Brits away so cheaply these days that it's often better value to go to a major European city than a day in London. I flew to Rome in January for £26 return. I know , January?! And going into St Peters was free!! [cf charges for Westminster Abbey/St Pauls]... Re Brighton, it costs nothing to walk along the promenade and go on the pier, so its a cheap day out compared with the capital.

London UK
Level Contributor
485 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Brits go to Brighton

My wife and I do our Saturday morning shop at Borough Market (we live 10 minutes away by train). On Sunny weekends in the last few weeks (not that there have been too many of those) as we've passed through London Bridge station on the way to the market, we've had to fight our way through huge queues at the ticket office - and I'd put good money on the majority of those people wanting to buy tickets to Brighton. I imagine that the trains must be heaving. We get enough of that on our journeys to work during the week, so we leave our trips to Brighton for outside the Summer season. Meanwhile, we find plenty to do in London :o)

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brits go to Brighton

Brighton yesterday.........glorious in the sun........the cafes were packed as was the seafront, it was buzzing, delicious!

Only downside....that traffic.....get it sorted!

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brits go to Brighton

why do Brightonians need to go to London for anything anyhow!!

Seriously tho, personaly, i have decided not to take my kids to London this summer. We do normally take a couple of days out doing the sites and our customary visit to Hamleys. Maybe we'll let the dust settle a bit before venturing back to the big smoke.