We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to Paddington Station using the tube

New York City, NY
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Heathrow to Paddington Station using the tube

Hi. I would like to take the tube from Heathrow to Paddington Station but am a bit confused w/ the map that's on the London underground website. It looks like I would need to take the Piccadilly line but would need to change trains to the "Hammersmith & City" line to get to Paddington station or the "District" line. Where would I need to transfer trains? Or am I looking at the map incorrectly.

I know the alternate is the Heathrow Express but thats a lot more expensive and am looking for cheaper alternatives.

Thanks

New York State
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow to Paddington Station using the tube

According to the journey planner at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/, the route with the fewest changes is Piccadilly line to Earl's Court, then District line to Paddington. (To see this option in the journey planner, you have to use the advanced search options and deselect "rail." Otherwise it will only display the Heathrow Express.)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,356 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow to Paddington Station using the tube

LHR to Paddington on the Underground is a bit fiddly but not impossible: see below. If you're staying at a hotel near the station, on Sussex Gardens perhaps, you might be better served by taking the Underground plus a bus.

From LHR take the Piccadilly line to Hyde Park Corner. Sit at the front of the train, as that's where the way out is at HPC station. There is an escalator up from the train platform to the ticket hall; after you leave the station turn left and look to Exit 1, Knightsbridge north.

There is a ramp up from the subway (underground walkway) to street level; once at street level you'll find yourself standing at a bus stop.

From stop W take either the number 10 towards King's Cross or the 74 towards Baker Street. Alight at the first stop on Park Lane, stop Y (it's a bit of a hike from the Tube station), and change there to the number 36 towards Queen's Park or the 436 towards Paddington.

Both the 36 and 436 travel along the Edgware Road and Sussex Gardens, which may be useful to you, and easier than changing lines on the Underground.

If you would rather take the Tube, take the Piccadilly line from LHR; alight at Hammersmith and walk across the platform to an eastbound District line train (takes about ten seconds). Alight at Earl's Court and change to a District line train towards Edgware Road and alight at Paddington.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,356 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow to Paddington Station using the tube

Sorry - the Piccadilly line does go from LHR to Earl's Court, but getting from that line to the District line involves the lift up from Piccadilly line to the ticket hall then stairs back down to the District line platforms. Changing at Hammersmith eliminates the stairs from the equation.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow to Paddington Station using the tube

I see you aren't aware of Heathrow Connect and I'm surprised no one else mentioned it. Much faster than the tube, direct, doesn't cost much more than the tube.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,399 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow to Paddington Station using the tube

Joe's right. Heathrow Connect to Paddington is much cheaper than the HEX.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,762 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow to Paddington Station using the tube

Heathrow T1,2&3 to Paddington by tube: Cost £4 with a journey time of around an hour.

Same journey by Heathrow Connect: Cost £6.90 with a journey time of between 25 and 55 minutes. This is because there are only two services an hour.

Knowing your arrival terminal would allow us to be a little more accurate with route and timings.

www.heathrowconnect.com/default.aspx?pageid=1

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow to Paddington Station using the tube

A few more things to take into consideration:

If you are coming from NYC, you'll probably be at the end of an overnight flight, so a bit tired and grumpy.

How much luggage will you have? This can make a considerable difference if you are faced with stairs and escalators. ('Down' is particularly hazardous with a large suitcase.)

Earl's Court can be a bit confusing if you've not been there before, as it has things going in all directions, many of them not including Ealing Broadway.

An alternative to Earl's Court is to continue on to South Kensington and transfer to the Circle line to Paddington there. You'll still have some stairs to cope with, but not as many, and no big confusion with the District line, as long as you make sure you get a Circle line train.

Personally, I'd take the Heathrow Connect. Even if you arrive at T5, the ride to T4 (or T1, 2,3)on the HEX is free, I believe. You can then take the Connect into Paddington and come out at platform level. This would avoid ALL stairs and escalators for not very much extra. Might take a bit longer, but not much. So I'm sort of with Adam Hornets.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow to Paddington Station using the tube

Another silly question. Why are you going to Paddington Station? Are you planning on taking a train that day to somewhere else?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow to Paddington Station using the tube

I've taken the tube all but one time when I've come to London and that was to Paddington the 2nd time I stayed in the area.

I've done both the Connect and the tube and would recommend the Connect, it took me over 1 1/2 hours to do the journey via the tube as it was one of the days when something wasn't running properly and I had to make two transfers instead of one, you shouldn't have that sort of problem with the Connect. If you use it both ways, the per cost ride is £6.45 if you buy a round trip.

Plus if you have luggage, I don't think there's an easy connection that avoids stairs or finding an elevator.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow to Paddington Station using the tube

There is - change to the District line at Hammersmith, then to the Edgeware Road branch thereof at Earls Court. Just wait on the same platform on both occasions.