We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM machines

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
ATM machines

Just wondering of the general opinion for getting pounds. Is it best to bring some with me from home, use an airport ATM, or hold off and find one in town? I'll be heading straight from Heathrow to Victoria Station and then south of London, so will need some money away. Thanks.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM machines

Usually easier to cash some when you arrive at Heathrow.

All you need to do is make sure you have a 4 digit PIN number for cashing money and your bank knows you will be using the card in the UK.

As long as it's a VISA or MasterCard you're ready to go.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,594 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM machines

get some from an ATM at the airport, but a lot depends on what fees YOUR bank will charge you.

Do a search for other mentions of ATM to see what you need to cover

Southgate, Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM machines

Just a few mores hours 'til take-off!!!

I have a Bank of America debit card, so I can make withdrawals from Barclays bank ATMs with no fee (at least I think...) But how do I know which ATMs are Barclays?

Probably a dumb question, but I'm paranoid!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM machines

You can get some local currency before you leave home, which can avoid "ATM fever" - the thought the ATM will be hard to locate, will not be working, or there will be a giant line.... The disadvantage to this is the pretty awful exchange rate from your bank or "currency service". AAA has "TipPacks" in $100.00 denominations available in British Pounds. Check this page out for more information - (you don't have to be a member, from what I was told - call your local AAA for more info; this is the southern california site)

http://www.aaa-calif.com/travel/tmoney.aspx

I've used the Heathrow ATM's without a problem, and use ATM's all over town without any trouble.

You may want to notify your bank of the dates you are travelling so they don't think your UK purchases are fraudulent or anything.... This happened to me in York, where my purchases were denied, and it was a hassle to deal with.

I also ask them to increase my "daily allowance" for ATM withdrawls and for credit purchases.... Instead of a 300 dollar ATM limit and 1,000 dollar credit limit, they increase my ATM withdrawls to 1,000 and credit to 3,000 per day, just for the days of my trip... A forum ATM search is a great idea!

Have fun...!

London
Level Contributor
37 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM machines

Barclays banks are throughout London and are usually joined to the bank. You will see them all over the center of London, but you may want to check branch locations on their website before you go.

When you get to Heathrow you will be able to withdraw cash easily but not necessarily cheaply.

Maybe bring a few quid with you for drinks etc. for when you land and hold off until you find a Barclays.

These days you can pretty much pay for anything on your card in larger branded stores...Boots, WH Smith for when you land....other places may have a £5/£10 min spend.

Have a great trip

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM machines

Wow, didn't know you were leaving so soon...!

Barclays ATM's will be clearly marked.... like this....

travellondon.com/templates/…atm1.jpg

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM machines

Thanks all - who knew this topic would be so entertaining to chat about! I do have Bank of America and already made a list of the locations throughout London. But I'll be heading straight from the airport to Brighton, so am trying to decide which is the best option to go with so I have pounds early on.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM machines

Our recent experience:

We bought pounds before we left US from AAA (just to be safe). ATM's were EVERYWHERE when we landed in Heathrow, then EVERYWHERE at Paddington Station, then EVERYWHERE outside Paddington.

We only had one issue with ATM's the whole time we were in London, when the ones in Paddington could not complete our transaction. The ones outside did though, so we figured the ones inside might have been out of cash (it was late in the day).

So I'd say don't stress it!

Cybored

Southgate, Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM machines

Thanks for the info and picture! I have 25GBP already (my aunt's a banker and knew what to get me for my birthday!) so I figure I'll be ok until I can find an ATM.

But just to clarify, the Barclays ATMs are only attached to the banks? Or will there be one in Gatwick or Victoria Station?

Thanks as always! Can't wait to leave!!!!

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM machines

If you go to www.barclays.co.uk and enter post code SW1V 1JU into the "branch finder," you'll get a list of Barclays banks within a 1 mile radius of the Victoria train station. Looks like the closest one is about a 1/2 mile away.

Post codes for Heathrow:

Terminal 1: TW6 1AP

Terminal 2: TW6 1EW

Terminal 3: TW6 3QG