We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Rail site, Is this right?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
National Rail site, Is this right?

We are planning on taking the train from London to Portsmouth on a day trip. I checked the National Rail site for fares. I am getting the following fares, one way 22 GBP, Return 22.40GBP. Is this correct? It appears that the return trip is basically for free, but perhaps I am misunderstanding something?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Rail site, Is this right?

Just been on that site for another posting. Yes there are many anomalies. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy two singles than a return, sometimes the return is much cheaper than singles. It just needs a lot of patience to sort out what is best for you at the times you want to travel. Not sure if any of the railcards will be any use to you for cheaper travel, but all info is on there.

It can be cheaper for me to travel to London (about 200 miles) than it is to Birmingham (about 100).

Have spent many hours on that site recently as I have decided to try to use the train instead of driving where possible and cost effective.

Pat

Alberta
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Rail site, Is this right?

Thanks PatG, I thought I was doing something wrong, but it looks like that is just the way it is.