We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car museum/exhibition?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gouda, The...
Level Contributor
403 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Car museum/exhibition?

We will be visiting London again in october. Is there a museum about cars in London? Or a exhibition or something? My husband and son are big car fans, esp. Aston Martin. So far I couldn't find anything in London.

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car museum/exhibition?

> and the Heritage Museum just has some appalling 70s British Leyland stuff that really wouldn't grace a metal scrapyard. <

Have we been to the same Heritage museum? You mean the one at Gaydon? It has way, way more than just some bad 70s British Leyland stuff. I think it's actually an excellent museum of British motoring.

What I DO think Britain lacks is a good general motoring museum. Beaulieu is OK, but as you say, it's very much geared to the really old stuff, while Gaydon is all about British cars. It would be great to have a more general motor museum, covering all time periods AND all nationalities.

Anyway, Irboke, I personally wouldn't spend the time going to either Beaulieu or Gaydon if I only had 3.5 days in London. Either send the boys off for a day (I'd send them to Beaulieu - it's a better day out and Gaydon's not too easy by public transport) and enjoy the day yourself in London, doing the things you like to do and they don't, or just don't do it at all.

They might find the Science Museum very interesting. There aren't all that many cars there, but there are one or two, and there are a few bits about engines, etc. I love the Science Museum in any case - there are lots of very interactive things to do there.

If you're in London at the very end of October, then Top Gear Live and the MPH show are on at Earls Court from October 30th to early November. www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/2939/

Essex
Level Contributor
27,191 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car museum/exhibition?

Found this listing for you, which might be of help:

classicshowsuk.co.uk/events_months/events_oc…

and it reminded me of the Ace Cafe, at Park Royal on the North Circular, a good visit for 'petrol-heads' and often have special car and motorbike evenings:

http://www.ace-cafe-london.com/Cars.aspx

Gouda, The...
Level Contributor
403 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car museum/exhibition?

Bagpuddycat: We have been to the Science Museum and loved it! What a pity that TopGear Live is on october 30th, we are in London from saturday october 11th till tuesday october 14th. We (the three of us!!) are big Top Gear fans. This show is also broadcasted in the Netherlands.

Essexwanderer: I looked at the classic shows website, but unfortunately there is nothing in Londen in the time we will be there.

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car museum/exhibition?

Classic car events tend to be thinning out by October (classic car owners don't tend to like driving them too much in the nasty cold wet winter weather), though there are still some happening. You're in London for such a short time, though, that I think you'll be very lucky if you find something while you're here.

The Ace Cafe is a good spot (and I can't believe I didn't think of it - I've been there several times) but it looks like the best event they have on those days is in the evening of the 14th, and I'm guessing you'll be gone by then.

www.ace-cafe-london.com/default.aspx…

Essex
Level Contributor
27,191 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car museum/exhibition?

You could get to the Vintage Vehicle Show at Amberley Museum on the 12 October easily enough, by taking the train from Victoria, Amberley Station is right by the museum:

http://www.amberleymuseum.co.uk/index2.html

The Ace Cafe has an event of some kind, every day that you are there. Look at their October calendar to see if anything suits.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,191 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car museum/exhibition?

OH, and Brooklands has a special day for Morgan Cars, also on the 12th Oct:

www.brooklandsmuseum.com/events.cfm…

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car museum/exhibition?

The MPH event is definitely worth going to. I and my 8 y/o son are also keen on cars. I took him to MPH 07 last year and we had a great time. Most of the supercars were there as well as Astons/Ferrari's/Porsches etc. If you like watching Top Gear you'll enjoy the live performances they do too.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Car museum/exhibition?

Whoops - I just missed your post - it looks like you can't make the MPH event :(

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Car museum/exhibition?

Or you could go to the LONDON MOTOR MUSEUM near Heathrow Airport

www.youtube.com/watch…

and their official site at

http://www.londonmotormuseum.co.uk/

I'm surprised that I hadn't known about this place. If you do go, please tell us about it.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Car museum/exhibition?

If you don't make it to a museum or exhibition, I know it's not quite the same but you could take a stroll down Park Lane (from Marble Arch) and press your noses up against the windows of the car showrooms of Aston Martin, BMW and MINI!