We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AdamHornets

Riverside...
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Topic
AdamHornets

Hi Adam,

I saw your comments on the Edinburgh forum re. bagpipes - I'm guessing you don't like them?! Vast understatement, eh? I've never heard you sounding so adamant! Was born and raised in Edinburgh but don't like them too much either. LOL

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,261 reviews
from $126.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
459 reviews
from $105.10*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from $149.10*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from $300.40*
$333.80
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,260 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AdamHornets

Hi Muggins

You have got me bang to rights on those agony bags! They may sound wonderful at The Edinburgh Tattoo when they can echo into the night at the castle but not in the confines of a hotel or every 50 yards along the Royal Mile.

And my surname is actually Scottish and I have a clan tartan which I proudly wear when I take a group into Scotland.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AdamHornets

Philistines!!! I love the bagpipes. They really get my Scottish blood going. (My grandmother was a MacFarlane, but the original MacFarlane came to Canada in the 1790s, so the Scottish blood is fairly diluted.) IMHO, you just can't beat the massed pipe bands, whether at the Endinburgh Tattoo or the Halifax International Tattoo, which I attended 2 weeks ago. At the latter, my favourite group was Pipeworkz (sic) from New Zealand. They combined Scottish bagpipe music with Maori chants. Sounds horrible, but it was lovely!

Flushing, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: AdamHornets

Ay, nothing tugs at my heartstrings more than the bagpipes. (Close second, a grand pipe organ). After the goose bumps comes the welling of tears in my eyes, whether it be a marching band in a parade, the awesome "Military Tattoo" at Edinburgh Castle, or the lone piper that appears in Urquat Castle overlooking Loch Ness....It just stirs up my soul! Play on, Mac Duff !!................Fxy*