We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the quintessential "guy" thing to do in London?

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
34 posts
20 reviews
12 helpful votes
What is the quintessential "guy" thing to do in London?
Save

My and my life-long best buddy are going to be visiting London in early October. It was a long shot, but I wanted to score a couple of Arsenal tickets but unfortunately, they aren't going to be at home during our visit. So that begs the question....What is the absolute MUST DO for a couple of 30 year old single guys in the city of London? We've got 5 days to figure it out.

London
Level Contributor
838 posts
22 reviews
38 helpful votes
11. Re: What is the quintessential "guy" thing to do in London?
Save

How about a trip to the dogs?

That's a typical "Blokey" thing to do. Unfortunately I think Walthamstow dogs will be shut-down by then so that only really leaves Wimbledon.

http://www.lovethedogs.co.uk

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
12. Re: What is the quintessential "guy" thing to do in London?
Save

If you're into WWII, then you might like to visit the Imperial War Musesum and HMS Belfast which fired one of the first shots on D-Day.

Details for both at the link below:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/

Essex
Level Contributor
40,270 posts
62 reviews
198 helpful votes
13. Re: What is the quintessential "guy" thing to do in London?
Save

There is also a dog track at Romford, Essex, which is a few minutes walk from Romford Station.

http://www.romfordgreyhoundstadium.co.uk/

On a 'fast' train, Romford is only about 15-20 minutes from Central London, leaving from Liverpool Street Station.

Perhaps an accountant would like some 'financial' related places to visit??

How about the Bank of England Museum?

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/education/museum/index.htm

(you can also visit the Bank, I think, details on the website)

Sadly, you can't visit the London Stock Exchante any more.

Perhaps a visit to the public galleries of the Central Crimnal Courts (The Old Bailey) would be of interest??

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Advice_and_benefits/Legal_advice/central_criminal_court.htm

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
15 reviews
25 helpful votes
14. Re: What is the quintessential "guy" thing to do in London?
Save

If you're lucky with the weather (early October can be anything!), wander into Hyde Park (corner nearest Marble Arch) or Regent's Park (NW corner particularly) and there will be people playing casual football (soccer) games - if you ask nice (and pick the people having the most 'relaxed' looking games) you can often join in.

Another vote for the dog track being a fun thing to do.

Or how about urban golf - lots of my male friends love this:

http://www.urbangolf.co.uk/

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
529 posts
5 reviews
15. Re: What is the quintessential "guy" thing to do in London?
Save

You're all being way too tourist-y in your suggestions...

Typical bloke thing to do:

If its Saturday, its football. Start by leaving house at approximately 10am.

Visit your favourite greasy spoon for full english breakfast with lashings of HP sauce. Or if you want to eat on the hoof, a bacon, sausage and egg sandwich on a bread bun the size of a dustbin lid.

You may want to eat on the hoof to make sure you arrive at your boozer just as the landlord has opened the doors.

walk in to the boozer, order 2 pints of the strongest cooking lager available (Stella).

After 3 hours of boozing solidly (no less than 3 pints per hour) wobble off towards the footy ground. As you get closer, the irresistable aroma of cheap burgers and sweating/fried onions will hit your nostrils. You succumb and part with £3 for a fetid, yet oddly satisfying slab of cow.

As you enter the ground, you make a dash for the loos as your bladder screams out for help.

Taking your seat 5 or 10 minutes after kick off, you manage to annoy the entire row of people as your seat will inevitably be at the far end of the row.

After 5 minutes you begin to moan loudly about how poor the game is. You then, for no reason, begin to berate either the opposition winger, the linesman, or your own teams winger, dependent on how the game is flowing (or not) and going in your favour.

Continue as above until 5 minutes before half time, when your bladder needs a release again. Annoy the row of people again.

Quick half time pint. Quick half time pie that will be cold on the outside and hotter than the sun in the middle.

After visiting toilet again, take seat 5 minutes after kick off of the second half. Continue berating.

10 minutes before full time make your way to the exit as your team are sinking quickly, 2-0 down and no hope of a comeback. As you walk out of the stadium a large roar will erupt. Your team have scored. No more than a consolation though.

Make it back to the pub before the post-match rush, safe in the knowledge that your team have lost. Moan to all around about how poor the winger/linesman/opposition winger was. Jeff Stelling announces on Sky Sports that your team have clinched a dramatic 3-2 win in the dying moments. You get another pint and mutter that you could see that happening.

Following a solid two hour post-match booze, your stomach demands more nutrition. You stumble out of the pub and locate the nearest kebab shop. The delicate strips of tender lambs spinal column are quite delicious, particularly the thermo-nuclear chilli sauce which brings a whole new dimension to al fresco dining, as you try to not get it down your shirt or walk into anything whilst troughing out of the polysterene tray.

After polishing that off, you're feeling surprisingly up for it, and head out on a pub crawl where you will:

i) spew

ii) try to impress the ladies

iii) go home alone

If its a non-footy day, basically its a pub crawl and see what mischief you can get into.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
66 reviews
59 helpful votes
16. Re: What is the quintessential "guy" thing to do in London?
Save

Well, I have to agree with MrFossetsHat above, (though some of the details are, shall we say, not exactly compulsory). Saturday is by Ancient law Footie day, and every effort should be made to get to a game.

Does it have to be L'Arsenal?

There are a few fixtures on in London on October 4th;

Chelsea v Aston Villa, 15:00

Tottenham v Hull, 15:00

West Ham v Bolton, 15:00

Charlton v Ipswich, 15:00

Leyton Orient v Scunthorpe, 15:00

Millwall v Milton Keynes Dons, 15:00

Brentford v Macclesfield, 15:00

Getting tickets for any of the Premiership games (Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham), may be difficult, but not impossible. There is always the possibility that SKY TV may move one of the games to Sunday, so be aware. Check out the various club websites in advance to confirm availability.

The lower league clubs may not be so glamourous or well known, but I'd still recommend giving one of them a go. Normally you'll be able to just turn up and pay on the gate.

Brentford is just down the road from me, and while the football may not be up to Brazil 1970 standards, it's a friendly enough place for an introduction to English football.

You can follow in the footsteps of Elijah Wood, if you take some pre-match lubrication in The Griffin Pub, where some scenes of the (lamentably poor) hooligan flick Green Street were filmed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
61 reviews
80 helpful votes
17. Re: What is the quintessential "guy" thing to do in London?
Save

q8triasonb, unfortunatly most of the talent in spearmint rhinos is eastern european and not english.........so ive been told!

USA
Level Contributor
7,847 posts
254 reviews
474 helpful votes
18. Re: What is the quintessential "guy" thing to do in London?
Save

HarryFossettsHat, beautiful word picture, very amusing. And to think earlier posts recommended a shave.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
6 helpful votes
19. Re: What is the quintessential "guy" thing to do in London?
Save

When I was there my husband went to the sports stadiums

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
49,403 posts
60 reviews
78 helpful votes
20. Re: What is the quintessential "guy" thing to do in London?
Save

And if you do as Harry suggested then you are also likely to experience another "great" British institution - Saturday night in the local A&E!

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.