We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need theater/show advice

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Need theater/show advice

I have quite the dilemma, well...2 questions actually.

Just found out that Guys and Dolls staring Ewen McGregor is playing in London as well as the Lion King. Both are shows I wouldn’t have the opportunity to see in Seattle. Yes Lion King toured Seattle and I'm told it was excellent but reasonably priced tickets sold out months in advance. So I missed it. And yes Guys and Dolls have toured too. But we never get big names like Ewen. So? Do I splurge and see both shows? Should I buy tickets in advance? I've heard that you can get cheaper seats by purchasing tickets at the box office just before the show. True or false?

Second question, what's the dress code? I equate London with New York, where folks actually dress for the theater. But I'm from Seattle where there is such a thing as dress jeans ;-) and "cluth the pearls"...yes we do wear them to the theater.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,160 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need theater/show advice

I personally would nt miss the Lion King if you havent seen it. As for what to wear the Brits usually dress up a bit the tourists dont usually but I would say anything goes really.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,849 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need theater/show advice

Guys & Dolls seems the the big show this summer and tickets are hard to come by so if you decide you want to see it get them now.

The Lion King also often sells out but a few less good tickets are kept behind for sale at 12 noon on the day of the performance from the theatre box office. Occasionally there are returns but you would be taking a chance and there are also touts (scalpers) in attendance if you want to go down that route.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need theater/show advice

Agree with Adam - if you haven't got tickets yet for Guys and Dolls get them now. I got mine a couple of months ago. And as Englishrose notes - tourists don't dress up for the theatre. I never have - I don't even dress up to go to the theatre at home either.