We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife in London?

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
73 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Nightlife in London?

Last time I went to London I headed out around 11pm only find out that all the bars were already closed! Do bars usually close in London early? What are some good areas to hangout with some good nightlife.. I usually prefer nice, classy bars or lounges with an attractive/diverse crowd. Our hotel is in the Kensington area...

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife in London?

Alcohol licensing laws mean that most pubs and bars have to close at 10.30pm. Those with late night licences can remain open into the early hours, but these are mostly nightclubs. Restaurants can keep serving alcohol if you are eating there.

All liquor stores also have to close at this time.

Bobby

Barry House Hotel

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife in London?

Last call at the pub is about 2245, and chucking out time is between 2300 and 2315. Clubs will stay open later - for much more info on them, pick up a copy of Time Out.

You might enjoy a drink or two at one of the All Bar One chain.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife in London?

check out this site for some good info on nightlife/bars/clubs etc. http://www.itchylondon.co.uk/

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
545 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife in London?

Next time you go to London - or if you can change your reservations - you might want to book somewhere near Clerkenwell / Smithfield. This area is literally chock-a-block with clubs that stay open until the wee hours of the morning, and the all-night nature of Smithfield Market means there are lots of places open all night to get a bite to eat. It's the hip and happening place for clubbers these days.

Good hotels to check out in the area are the Rookery, Malmaison and the Zetter.

If you're flying into Gatwick, you can take the Thameslink straight to Farringdon station and bypass the tedious Gatwick Express/Victoria shuffle.

The place to go at the moment seems to be Meet to meet up with your mates and then head into Fabric.

Have fun!!

SE London, UK
Level Contributor
140 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife in London?

Hi UT,

I'm not sure but I figure you've been to my lovely town by now.

But in-case you haven't or in-case you come again here's some bits of advice re going out:

1. Bars in Central are open til about 11, only late hour bars will be open later and these are more or less found towards to outskirts of what would be classed 'central'. Holburn and outwards to the East is normally your best bet for these places.

2. In Central you are looking for clubs. Clubs are about £10-20 to get into and are best got there EARLY, this means leave a bit before clsoing time at a bar to avoid those people and most of the other people who usully go straight to the club. The prices between bar and club aren't THAT different (depending on the club, the more 'up-market', 'known' venues will be more expensive).

3. Going out to a club in London on a whim is BAD. They have SO much passing trade that they have a guestlist and the door policy is fairly rigid.

Of course as a female you will be more likely to bend this rule but generally it is hard and fast (especially if you get a bitchy door girl).

The best idea is to book your guestlist in advance, the promoters run the clubs of an evening, so uness you know the owner or manager ringing them is usually pointless.

You can find MANY club promoters for London on google and such and they willhave email lists to book, the most known are sintillate, london parties, elite clubbing, madnights and a few others.

4. Prices and closing times.

Closing times in London for a club range from 3-4am and ocassionaly there are one or two clubs that will do 6am closing. SOME that open later only have a 2am licesnse for serving alcohol so remember to ask if you want to drink into the morning and there is a place call Rouge at the end of Tottenham Court Rd and Charing Cross Road which does a 6am til afternoon party.

Drinks are roughly £7-8 for a spirit and mixer (my drink of choice) beers are usually £4-5.

5. Lastly.

Booking and club promoters.

Again as in alot of places to guarantee entry the club prmoter likes to know you are going to spend. You CAN negotiate a few 'comps' (freebie entries) if you book a TABLE. A table is a 'minimum spend' option and ranges in price.

This basically means you say "how much are your tables" if you book (either by phone to a promoter of by email) and you will be given a price and how many it seats.

This can be upwards of £400 and beyond but if you have say an 8 person table you are more or less getting a good deal as £50 a head is an 'average spend' for a night out for most in London.

You can get to the club, go in the guestlist queue (usually shorter.. but I do only mean 'usually' as most clubs ONLY have a guestlist queue 'grr' and nothing else) you go in they seat you, you give them your £400 between you and they put it behind the bar as a 'tab' and then you order away until it's done. They will try to get you to buy the more expensive stuff early, champers and whatnot, but you don't have to and you can be sensible if you try, spirits ARE expensive (£80+ a bottle depending where you are) but a few bottles is not bas of an evening and you will get some mixers, so all in all not bad.

Any thing else, feel free to ask people.