We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this possible?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
Is this possible?

I have a ticket to see Mamma Mia show @ 7:30 PM, but will do the following prior to the show:

Take Big Bus sightseeing tour and get off at St. Paul's Cathedral for 11:00 am guided tour, then head over to Tower of London, allowing about 3-4 hrs for touring, I don't necessarily have to see everything there. Then return to the Bonnington to get ready for the show. I must get to the theatre at 6:30 to pick up my reserved ticket I bought on-line).

Of course I will have to allow time for getting from one event to the next. Is this realistic?

Level Contributor
623 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this possible?

Is this 3 - 4 hours total or just at the Tower. How long is the bus tour. Need more information to give an accurate assessment of if you will have enough time.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,917 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this possible?

Can you collect your ticket the day before? With the Piccadilly line out of service, you´ll either have to take a bus along Holborn then Charing X Road and Shaftesbury Avenue toward Piccadilly, or go down Kingsway to the Strand and bus from there to get to the theatre. Traffic might well be the sticking point, esp if it´s a weekday.

NY
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this possible?

I am planning to take a cab to the theatre. It's 3-4hrs at Tower of London. I was told to catch big bus at Royal National Hotel (Russel Square) which is walking distance from the hotel. I will hop off at St. Paul's and then hop back on to go to Tower of London.

If anything, I would just go to the Tower of London, then head back to my hotel, then take a cab to the theatre.

Meadville, PA USA
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this possible?

Clarissa - We just returned from London yesterday, and had a day similar to this. We did an all-day tour that included a bus tour of the city with a guided tour of West Minster Abbey, a boat tour with about 1-1/2 hours at the tower (I think 3-4 hrs may be more time than you'll want to spend there), and concluded with a flight on the eye. We still managed to have dinner before seeing Blood Brothers that evening. It was a long day, but it is certainly possible.

NY
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this possible?

Thanks peteyson. You're right, 3-4 hrs might be too much time to spend in Tower of London, 2 hrs at the most.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this possible?

Depends how long you plan to spend at St. Paul's. If you plan to climb to the top of the dome as well as the tour, you can easily spend 2-3 hours there. Then figure it will take approx. 30 minutes to get to the Tower. Then, at least another 1/2 hour to get from the Tower to the Bonnington. I think it would be very tight and you probably wouldn't have time to eat lunch or dinner.

You could probably do it if you didn't spend much time at St. Paul's and you watched your time while at the Tower.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this possible?

Timing seems reasonable, but it seems to me to be a huge waste of money using Big Bus for transportation. Short walk to Holborn and two stops on the tube and you are at St. Paul's. Then regular double decker bus to the Tower. Tube back to Holborn, changing at Bank. Under GBP5 instead of GBP18 or 20.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this possible?

I agree with Ron if you aren't planning on using the bus tour before your stop at St. Paul's. You can do it much more economically (and probably faster) on your own.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this possible?

While you are at St Pauls you can eat in the Crypt, or there is a Marks & Spencer Food hall next door if you want something quicker. You can picnic in the churchyard.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,657 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this possible?

I would save Big Bus for another day and reverse things so that you see the Tower first. Less busy and you are nearer to the hotel at the end of the afternoon should you end up in a rush.

9.30: 15 minute walk or bus down to The Aldwych then number 15 bus To The Tower.

1.00: Lunch

1.30: Number 15 bus back to St Pauls for 2.00pm guided tour.

4.00: Central Line 2 stops westbound from St Pauls tube to Holborn and 5 minute walk back to hotel with plenty of time to get ready.

Hope that helps.