We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around on the tube

Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around on the tube

Hello everyone,

leaving on Tuesday I am alittle confused with the tube closing. I will be staying near earls court. will I be able to get to nottinghill or covent gardens via the tube.

If I go to victoria station how far of a walk is it to covent garden or from earls court to nottinghill.

Does anyone know of a good walking map of central london that could include distances

Thanks in advance for your help

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around on the tube

The nearest stations to Covent Garden are Temple on the District Line (Direct from Victoria) or Holborn on the Central Line (Direct From Notting Hill). Both would give you a 5-10 minute walk.

From Earls Court the trains are still running to High Street Kensington. The walk to Notting Hill is just over half a mile.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around on the tube

With the tube closures, you may want to try using the city buses. They are a great way to get around London - you'll actually get to see more than you do on the tube.

Here's an easy-to-read bus map with the popular routes and sites: transportforlondon.gov.uk/tfl/…tourist.pdf

Here's a more detailed map: www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/pdfdocs/centlond.pdf

For an example, looking at the more detailed map (you will have to enlarge it to read it), you can take the #328 bus from the Earls Court tube to Notting Hill.

Covent Garden is a little trickier - there aren't any buses that actually stop there. Probably the closest bus stops would be Leicester Square or Aldwych - but it's not that long a walk to Covent Garden from either of those. From Earls Court, you can take the #74 bus to Hyde Park Corner, then change buses to the #14 to Leicester Square or the #9 to Aldwych.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around on the tube

If you are going to be doing a fair bit of walking then you should consider investing in a London A-Z which has maps of every (and I mean every) street in the whole city. There are different sizes and you can buy them at any airport bookshop or newsagents kiosk and you can view the different options at www.a-zmaps.co.uk.

To get to Covent Garden from Earls Court by tube I would actually get off at Embankment (also on the District Line), turn left up Villiers Street, right at the top into The Strand and then left into Southampton Street. Slighly easier and more to see than the route from Temple tube.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around on the tube

If you're staying near Earl's Court, you can take bus 74 toward Hyde Park and change at Hyde Park Corner for a bus that goes along Piccadilly to the West End.

You can pick up the 74 if you leave Earl's Court station at the west side - look for the exit to Warwick Road. Turn right out of the station and you'll see a bus stop on the far side of the road, about 10m along. The 74 will stop there, then turn right at the Cromwell Road and go through South Ken and Knightsbridge, toward Hyde Park. At the same stop you'll see the C3, which terminates one stop beyond (at the big Tesco), the C1, which carries on to High St Kensington, and the 328, which also goes to High St Ken, then turns left on Kensington Church Street - it might even go as far as Notting Hill.

At that particular bus stop, there are info signs on the stop, showing maps of where the buses go and how often they run. Since all four of them come from different directions, that's probably the best stop to use, as you'll get your choice. The C1 and C3 are little Hoppa buses, but you can use your Travelcard on them. I think the cross street with Warwick Road is Phillimore Gardens, but am not sure (and my A to Z is at home).

Earl's Court station might have the fold out bus maps for central London, which will come in handy to use with your A to Z - highly recommend you get one.