We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

39 steps offer

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,976 posts
313 reviews
Save Topic
39 steps offer

I had to queue up at the half price TKTS booth for cheap tickets to this show. It was worth every minute and every penny, but now you can buy bargain tickets in advance for 25gbp by phone for shows until 31st May 2008:

"Based on the John Buchan novel and memorably filmed by Alfred Hitchcock, this astonishing theatrical tour-de-force is played with just four actors who play a minimum of 139 roles!

Call 0844 847 1778 and quote ‘Official London Theatre offer’ to book top price tickets for £25 (usually £42.50)

Offer valid for all performances, excluding Saturday evenings from Monday 21 April until Saturday 31 May.

Subject to availability. Booking fees apply."

Very clever and very funny production at the Criterion Theatre, Picadilly.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 39 steps offer

Hi purpleceltic

We (2 adults, 2 teens) were thinking of either seeing the Phantom of the Opera OR the 39 Steps, and in a dinner and show package.

Would 39 be suitable for the teens - 15 & 14?

Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
312 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 39 steps offer

Karen - they will love 39 Steps. It is a superb show for all the family. It is pure theatre magic and hilarious to boot.

I'd much rather go and see this fresh and critically acclaimed production than some lumbering West End ALW monster that has frankly outstayed its welcome. Keeps the really exciting stuff out the of the West End - ALW is like the theatrical equivalent of eating at McDonalds in my opinion.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 39 steps offer

Another recommendation for The 39 Steps. I saw it back in March, booking through the half-price booth. I enjoyed it immensely. It's amazing the stamina and coreography that the 4 actors have to go through in the play. The train scene is a particular standout as is the hotel scene in the Scottish highlands! It felt very British in it's humour. If you're looking for a light-hearted play, this is the one.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 39 steps offer

THANKS FlyingfishLondon and Heather Feather!!!

This is great info, so that's the one we'll see.

Regards,

Karen

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,976 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 39 steps offer

Karen, one of the magical things about 39 steps is that it was equally enjoyed by all ages from hard to please teens right through to grannies. At the end of the evening there wasn't a dry eye in the house - from all the laughing!

The Broadway production of this show has just won a number of Tony Awards. I witnessed for myself that the humour of the show translated easily between cultures. The theatre was full of Americans on the night I saw the show.

Absolutely brilliant it was.

For anyone thinking of going to see it, but not wanting a dinner package, there are half price tickets available some days at the TKTS booth/clocktower at the centre of Leicester Square daily for around 23 pounds. You can check the website below and see which tickets come up on an almost daily basis at half price on the day:

officiallondontheatre.co.uk/tkts/…

Have fun and let us know what you thought of it.

cheers

PC :-)

Mentioned in this post
Broadway
Broadway
Cotswolds, UK
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 39 steps offer

Thanks purpleceltic - that's terrific!

We were hoping to do a dinner & show but nothing is available on the night we wanted to go.

Are there any reasonable restaurants (not chain!) near the Criterion theatre that you would recommend?

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 39 steps offer

Oh PC; you got me all excited! I thought I was going to be able to climb the Forth Rail Bridge and cling to the outside of speeding steam trains.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 39 steps offer

Another vote for The 39 Steps. I liked it so much, I've watched it twice!

You can also get the £25 offer online through this site:

broadwaybox.com/london/theatre/the_39_steps_…

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
278 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 39 steps offer

Agree about ALW shows. Alsao if you need another show see 'The Pit men Painters' at the National theatre, at all costs, absolutely brilliant, funny, sad, enlightening

A Southern State
Level Contributor
275 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 39 steps offer

Another vote for 39...our kids were 14 & 15 and loved it. We would all see it again.

And did you know London theatres sell ice cream intermission?