We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Newcastle

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Anaheim, CA
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
London to Newcastle

My husband will be going to Newcastle for a meeting and I am tagging along. Does anyone know how best to travel from London to Newcastle? Can you recommend any attractions in Newcastle. I would love to see some countryside, gardens or go to a flea market. Thanks.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,127 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Newcastle

You could fly from LHR to NCL, but the train journey is a very pleasant one. The journey from King's Cross station takes about three hours, and requires no change of train. Return fare is about £50 - 70, depending on how far in advance you book. Return flights start at £85, depending on when you book.

If you'd like to make a little side trip once you've dropped your husband off in Newcastle, Durham is about 15 minutes away by train. It's a lovely little city, with a beautiful cathedral, very much worth a look.

newcastlegateshead.com/814/Must_See_in_Newca…

It's been far too many years since I've had a trip to Tyneside, but after having read from the link posted above, I think it's time for another visit. I hope you enjoy your visit to Newcastle, it's worth seeing.

Anaheim, CA
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Newcastle

Thanks for much TravellerPlus. I will check it out.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,081 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Newcastle

<<< Return fare is about £50 - 70, >>>

Try from £23 for 2 single tickets per person

www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/ allows foreigners to book tickets for collection using Fastticket machines and they give a 10% discount for booking

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,127 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Newcastle

Fares do depend on how far in advance you book and the departure time. The further in advance you book, the more fare options should be available.

North Shields
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Newcastle

Seven miles down stream from Newcastle is the mouth of the River Tyne, there you will find our wonderful coast. The Metro system allows easy travel. Newcastle itself is a lovely city and the Quayside and 'Grainger town' Well worth a visit. Depending on how long you will be spending here it is easy to get a bus and travel off into Northumberland - maybe visit Alnwick, Bamburgh. Strongly suggest you check the web - there's lot's to do and see and the natives are friendly.

Anaheim, CA
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Newcastle

Thanks for all the input. We are now contemplating to drive from London to Newcastle. Are there sights to see along the way? Or interesting towns or countryside?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,127 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Newcastle

Hm. It's a long schlep, five and a half hours if you drive from King's Cross without stopping, but you would want to stop en route. If I were driving north, I'd get off the A1 and go to York and Durham at least, but even a very brief stop in both cities would mean at least an eight hour journey, with only the quickest of views.

Ripon is a lovely little place, and a visit to Fountains Abbey wouldn't go amiss - but really, trying to do it in a day and get to Newcastle would mean that you'd have the barest minimum of time to devote to sightseeing, with a few places in Yorkshire definitely worth a look.

Can you manage an overnight journey?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,081 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Newcastle

It's about 300 miles - which will cost around £40 in petrol alone.

Then there's the costs of the car itself - and the time taken to collect it from the hire place, there's parking charges on top of that (possibly even London Congestion Charge).

In short, unless you intend taking several days to get from London to Newcastle, there's very little value in driving

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,694 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Newcastle

I'm thinking to myself... with a fast, frequent and relatively cheap train service why would anyone choose to drive?

Anaheim, CA
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Newcastle

I can afford to take as much as 3 days to travel from London to Newcastle. The reason that I want to drive is because I hope to see sights along the way. But I do not know if there are enough along the way to make the trip worthwhile especially now that you have pointed how expensive it can get.