We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confusion over the Oyster card

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
tennessee
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Confusion over the Oyster card

I've read the information and I'm trying to decide what to do. I'm going to be in London for 25 days. After the first five, I won't need to use the transportation on a daily basis, but I'll still need to. Would I be better served to just purchase an oyster card and have money on it for the duration? I'm confused about the fares--will it give me the cheapest fare as if I was buying a 7 day card, which is what I would do if I didn't buy the oyster card.

I'm going back next spring, so I am not worried about having a little bit of money left on it at the end should that happen. I'll just save it. I just don't want to be purchasing one day tickets and such all the time if there is a cheaper way to get fares.

I am uttterly confused.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confusion over the Oyster card

Without bothering to read up on the Oyster Card (yes, mea lazia), your post prompts a question for me. Maybe someone knows: Is the value on the Oyster Card timeless, so to speak? That would be a change from Travel Cards, which are time based rather than value based.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,905 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confusion over the Oyster card

Have a look at www.oystercard.com. The amount loaded on the card is good until used - so no expiry dates.

Since the cards now have daily price capping, you can use it sporadically and still get the best fare going. According to other posts on this site, it works - as long as you touch the card in and out when you use it.

Single fares will cost a fortune - I'd go for the Oyster.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confusion over the Oyster card

For a 25 dsy visit & varying travelling, then Oyster will suit you.

It'll be a nice souvenir for when you get home....like a backstage pass (!).

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confusion over the Oyster card

Thanks for the info.

Britfan

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Confusion over the Oyster card

I think if you doing several per day on the those first 5 days you are there, being a tourist I presume, then you should consider starting with the 7 day travel card. The savings over one day cards, or the oyster card daily cap is there. For the remainder it sounds like the oyster card will be the most economical.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,645 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confusion over the Oyster card

The powers that be are planning to phase out the 7 day travelcard (and all other paper travelcards in time). I made a new post some weeks back which included LT's response but am useless at finding these things in the search engine.

For right or wrong, there is no doubt that the Oyster Card is the future. In time, you will be able to use to buy other things such as groceries and newspapers.