We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am a runner and I have been told that I can't run in...

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
221 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
I am a runner and I have been told that I can't run in...

My brother (world traveler) tells me that I will not be able to run in London, Paris, or France.

Is this true?

I have also been told by a coworker that no one in Europe "works out".

Seriously?

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am a runner and I have been told that I can't run in...

Gina, I have seen plenty of people running in Hyde Park. As for no one works out in Europe? A Brit was a multi time Mr. Olympia. One bit of respectful advice, skip the running, your going on vacation. I'm an avid bodybuilder, I never work out on vacations, no matter where I go. Your body needs a rest. P.S. with all the walking you should be doing there, that should be enough. Cheers, Pub

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I am a runner and I have been told that I can't run in...

Have your "friends" been doing this to you all your life? Or is it something new? Or are you pulling our legs?

Whenever I visit London, I stay near Hyde Park and try to do a brisk walk in the park each morning. A lot of people pass me, moving quite quickly, when I do this. I always assumed they were running, but perhaps they have another word for it.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am a runner and I have been told that I can't run in...

Nonsense. The parks in London are an ideal place to run. I see runners there all the time. Paris and London are two of the cities vying for the 2012 Olympics. The World Cup will be held in Berlin next year. Football (soccer) and rugby are very popular in Europe. Tell the Scandanvians who've cleaned up at every Winter Olympics that no one in Europe works out.

I have to disagree with Pub - I think you should run in London.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I am a runner and I have been told that I can't run in...

<<I will not be able to run in London, Paris, or France.>>

Do you mean as in "not allowed"? Why would your brother think that, I wonder?

Gina, I've see runners on the Lambeth Embankment, so I assume they're running elsewhere on the riverside, and I've seen them in the parks.

Regarding fitness routines: My sister-in-law is very fit, working out nearly every day. She was sure she'd want to do her usual routine. However, she quickly learned that the amount of walking just doing ordinary tourist activities actually amounted to a lot of exercise, leaving her fagged out at the end of a day.

Here's an example of the asports-mindedness evident over there. It seems you can't go anywhere (except maybe London) without seeing kids with soccer balls: on the grounds of Hever Castle, on Glastonbury Tor, behind the griffin heads at Wallington, on Hadrian's Wall, at Bodiam Castle. It's a genetic condition!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I am a runner and I have been told that I can't run in...

Gina,

I must admit, I don't work out very often and walking is my main exerise and of course the ever popular lifting a glass with a suiyable liquid from the table to the mouth. Now that is strenuous exercise.

In the last few years, there has been an exlosion in the number of fitness clubs in London and I know many people who regularly go there either at lunchtime or before or after work.

With regards to running, I think this is a case of your friends either having you on or not knowing up they are talking about. Don't they know that one of the largest marathons is the London marathon ran every year in April.

The following website was posted on another thread quite recently and shows suggested running routes in London if you do still want to go for a run whilst in London.

http://www.serpentine.org.uk/routes/

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am a runner and I have been told that I can't run in...

Your brother must have travelled the world with his eyes shut.

Your co-worker is an idiot.

On a less facetious note, we have the London Marathon here every year - most of the runners are UK based, & as far as I know, it's difficult to train for a 26 mile race by running round the back garden.

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I am a runner and I have been told that I can't run in...

I don't mean to be rude, but is this a joke ?

Ballymoney, United...
Level Contributor
861 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I am a runner and I have been told that I can't run in...

98,500 applicants for the london marathon must have worked out somewhere

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I am a runner and I have been told that I can't run in...

I wouldn't run in central London such as Oxford Street or Piccadily Circus as most people walk (slowly if they're on vacation, and briskly if they are going to work).

Running in the parks seems to be a good pastime in London, as does cycling.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I am a runner and I have been told that I can't run in...

Why would you want to run or workout ? You are an American, no one in America "works out", that is why they are a nation of seriously obese people. ;-)