We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury near LHR

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Luxury near LHR

I remember reading an article about a Luxury hotel/spa not far from LHR that was actually child friendly. I cannot find the article anywhere and now I need to do a stopover in that area.

Anyone know the place I am talking about?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxury near LHR

I'm not familiar with the article you refer to, but if you go to Google and type in "luxury hotel near heathrow airport" you will come up with a couple of options, including the Sir Christopher Wren House in Windsor and Petersham, in Richmond.

In addition, there is the very well known and luxurious Cliveden House, in Berkshire, which I believe is about a 20 minute drive from Heathrow. The website is www.clivedenhouse.co.uk.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxury near LHR

Cleveden is smart & grand.

There is a 4 star spa hotel at Egham, the Runnymede. Not far from Windsor & LHR.

From the outside it doesn't look that much, but inside it's very nice & some rooms have river views.

http://runnymedehotel.com/index.html

See reviews on this forum.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,657 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxury near LHR

Em,

"Cliveden is smart and grand" is a rare understatment from your good self. I always feel that the National Trust staff wander the car park letting down (ever so politely of course) tyres of cars they consider unworthy of this great place.

There is supposed to be an award winning hotel and spa at Pennyhill Park in Bagshot about a 30 minute drive from Heathrow. My out-laws are having their 50th anniversary bash there in August so I may take advantage to have a peek to see if any of the footballers wives mentioned in the reviews are propping up the bar or any other part of their anatomy.

www.exclusivehotels.co.uk

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxury near LHR

Oh yes, PennyHill Park. I forgot.

One of my best gurrrrlllfriends had her hen at the Runnymede & the wedding at Pennyhill.

PHP not nearly as grand as Cliveden, but nouveau de luxe. It all went very well. The wedding ceremony was in a panelled library which was cozy & lent a historic air (stuff Skibo) to the occassion, & the reception was in a large room on the other side of the hotel. There's an approximation of a grand staircase where the wedding party can gether for group photos.

PHP is mostly a modern build, so it feels spacious.

All in all, it was very nice. I did consider popping back for a spa weekend as a treat.

I would say that PHP is better appointed than the Runnymede - but both offer excellent services & th epromise of a good time.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxury near LHR

Johnny Wilkinson has stayed the previous night at PHP, & many of the female guests enquired after the bed linen & it might be for sale (!)

uk
Level Contributor
10 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxury near LHR

it all depends what you mean by a stopover - there are a lot of hotels really close to the airport which have a courtesy shuttle - a black taxi to windsor hotels such as the runnymede cost about ��50 - nearly the same as central london as there is a minimum charge from the airport - local taxi firms can be phoned from the airport and pickup kerbside for about ��18-20

the runnymede has a very nice spa and there is a childrens pool and garden

- looks awful from the outside but the riverside is lovely

R