We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London is stealing from the rest of my trip!

FL, USA
Level Contributor
224 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
London is stealing from the rest of my trip!

After a wonderful trip to London in December, I set about planning our next trip for this upcoming May which will focus on Scotland (primarily in and around Edinburgh).

We'll be flying in to London and staying for a couple of days before taking the train to Edinburgh, where we'll stay for 8 days. Then, it's back to London for a couple more before flying back home to the US.

Funny thing is, despite the focus of the trip being Scotland, I kept wanting to make sure we had at least 2 full days (so that doesn't include a travel in/out day) in London at both ends of our trip. After finding myself shaving off a couple of our Edinburgh days, I kept kicking myself for having done so and finally just took a few extra days off work so I can get 4 full days in London while still getting more than a week in Scotland :)

London's just too great to miss out on! Though I'm certain Edinburgh will be fantastic, as well.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,590 Reviews
from $119.20*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
737 Reviews
from $107.50*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,224 Reviews
from $121.80*
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: London is stealing from the rest of my trip!

I have no postcards of Edinburgh for you. :-(

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,604 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London is stealing from the rest of my trip!

Edinburgh is a far smaller city than London and honestly, 4 days would be more than enough unless you are going to use Edinburgh as a base to go to places like Stirling, St. Andrews or other places.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
FL, USA
Level Contributor
224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London is stealing from the rest of my trip!

Oh and as far as making this a relevant thread (haha) we do plan on seeing the Churchill War Rooms this time around, which we missed last time in London.

Also plan on seeing Billy Elliott and perhaps one other theatre show. Any suggestions? Saw Wicked (great!) and Lord of the Rings (not so great!) last time.

Also, we hope to do the London Ghost Walk (Richard Jones). Anyone have experience with that?

Primarily, though, the plan is just to stroll about London during the day and play it by ear, so to speak, with the only set plans being in the evenings.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
FL, USA
Level Contributor
224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London is stealing from the rest of my trip!

jdbri - hehe that's ok. Shall I send you some Edinburgh postcards while I am up there?

dicanio - We do plan on using Edinburgh as our base of operations for some trips out around Scotland. Stirling Castle and Bannockburn, Loch Lomond, Loch Ness and the Highlands, St. Andrews, and the small village that is my family's ancestral home southwest of Edinburgh, among other things. With some "chill out" time mixed in hehe

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Stirling Castle
Stirling Castle
7,575 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
417 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
1,378 Reviews
Loch Ness, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London is stealing from the rest of my trip!

I completely understand your dilemma. I'm doing Scotland/England in May and had to play around with my itinerary to get 4 full days in London but they are all at the end of my trip. I loved Edinburgh last year so I am expanding my trip this year to include the surrounding area and Aberdeen.

Wendi

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
England
England
United Kingdom
London
London
England, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London is stealing from the rest of my trip!

We took Richard Jones' Ghost Walk on our last trip and LOVED it. We have also been on several of London Walks ghost walks and preferred Richard Jones. The only downside is that it must be booked in advance from his website (as you probably already know).

Mentioned in this post
London Walks
London Walks
1,794 Reviews
London, UK
FL, USA
Level Contributor
224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London is stealing from the rest of my trip!

Perhaps we'll cross paths, hrhweezie!

ntz4bbl - I'm hoping there will be a Richard Jones walk on one of the nights we'll be there! They don't have their May schedule up yet but I'm definitely keeping an eye on it to book if the opportunity comes up :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London is stealing from the rest of my trip!

I go to Edinburgh for a week every two years, and the week is never enough. That week is in August, though :)

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
FL, USA
Level Contributor
224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London is stealing from the rest of my trip!

haha yeah my work schedule wouldn't permit an August trip, plus I wanted my first trip there to be at a "calmer" time of year.

I'd love to go for the Military Tattoo, though, and so perhaps I'll do that next year when I'm a bit more familiar with Edinburgh. I'm thinking of a trip focused on either London (again!) or Ireland, with a quick hop over to Edinburgh for the Tattoo only, then back to either London or Ireland.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London is stealing from the rest of my trip!

By visiting capital cities only, you really are missing out!

You are missing the British countryside, the small towns and villages, the caostal scenery and the real British pubs! I urge you all to get away from the tourist hot spots, if only for a day or two - you will not regret it!