We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning my London trip

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Planning my London trip

I'm bringing my daughter (18) to London later this summer for five days. We're both history buffs so we know we want to see the British Museum, Westminster Abbey, the Tower, etc.

Need suggestions/info on a few things:

It looks like we'll come August 9 - 14. Are there any reasons to avoid London at that time? (I like New York too, but I wouldn't want to visit during a political convention, for example)

Is London usually slower during August? Should I book a hotel well in advance, or will the rates get better as we get closer to August? Looking to stay around Bloomsbury.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some lesser known historical spots or museums? We'll hit the obvious ones I've mentioned, since this is her first visit, but I've been a few times and would appreciate suggestions on anything off the beaten path.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Planning my London trip

Wow

I have to compliment you all on the quick response, and the friendly, to-the-point advice. A lot of good suggestions that I'll look into for the trip.

Just one question - where are you seeing the $800 airfares? Our whole trip is from the 5th to the 14th and the best I'm getting is $942 per person. I'd book an $800 fare in a heartbeat.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Planning my London trip

OldHoo, my bad! I'm telling you information that's dated about 2 weeks ago. I just checked on kayak.com and I believe Delta has fares for about 874$. But that obv won't be nonstop from Dallas. Given your short stay, I'd rather suggest AA or BA (both around 980$) which is direct. FWIW, check with your travel agent as well if she has any good deals to offer.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Planning my London trip

OldHoo72,

I know how it can hurt to pay even a penny more, but $942 is a good fare. I would grab it now if I were you.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Planning my London trip

Oh yes, I second tony. I did the grave mistake once of reserving my ticket and not booking it, waiting for my UK visa first. I finally got my UK visa 2nd week of July, and by the time I booked tkts to LGW, it was around 1100$. So just GRAB with open arms now itself. The tkt prices will only increase seeing as you're going peak holiday season.