We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Card Protection: Lost Card Reporting Services

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Credit Card Protection: Lost Card Reporting Services

I am thinking about signing up with one of those services where I can register my credit cards and they will take care of the reporting if my wallet is lost or stolen etc.

Can anyone recommend a company that they use and are happy with?

Any other comments/suggestions welcome.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Card Protection: Lost Card Reporting Services

The boffins who deal with such schemes here in Canada say it's not worth the money. Evidently if your card gets nicked, you're only liable for about 50$CDN of goods, and not even that if you report it v quickly. When my cards were stolen in Spain, I was on the phone to the banks in question in about an hour, and no charges had been made, and after having reported the cards as stolen, the numbers are no longer useable in any event. One bank replaced my card within about three days (it got nicked on a Saturday before Bank Holiday Monday), and the other was sent (from Montreal) by post instead of by courier - but that's another story (Royal Bank, how are you?). There hasn't been any evidence of identity theft or cloned cards made, as far as I know - I had a friend draw up a statutory declaration for the banks and credit bureau in any case, after I got home.

The banks didn't complain about accepting reverse charges calls from overseas, either, so when it was all over, I was more or less satisfied with the service I got.

So it's your call - me, I prefer living on the edge, you know.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Card Protection: Lost Card Reporting Services

Thanks, TPlus.

Sorry to hear about your Spanish nightmare.

I'm not so concerned with identity theft in this context as with the hassle of contacting all the various card companies in a pinch.

So far, I've found one online service that will take care of this for 9.95 US per year, which seems like a good deal to me.

http://www.cardpal.com

I thought there were a lot of these services, but so far my relatively extensive Googling has turned up only two in the US (and the other one, National Card Registry, wants $79.95 per year!)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Card Protection: Lost Card Reporting Services

You must live a charmed life, or things are different south of the 49th parallel, as I get junk fairly often (from the banks or private companies acting for them) asking me if I want to use This Important Service. Price is usually about 25-50$CDN annually.

Contacting the banks wasn't too painful, as I just dialled a Canadian operator (through a number linking me to Canada) and asked for the bank, saying my card had been stolen, and thank goodness the operators would get the point fast and just zip it through. The bigger headache was with one bank - evidently they only have two people answering phones for the entire galaxy, and for one call I spent 35 minutes standing in a call box, fuming, steam coming out of the ears (ears if I was lucky), on hold - yeesh.

Anyway. No doubt there are other forumites who will have an opinion, or have actually used the service offered. Will watch this space.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Card Protection: Lost Card Reporting Services

**TravellerPlus**

Did any of your banks suggest that you contact the two credit bureaus?When I lost my wallet,I let them know.My file is now flagged for three years.Any time credit is applied for in my name,they will phone me at home to confirmthat it is being applied for by me.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit Card Protection: Lost Card Reporting Services

I use a service in the UK called Sentinel. I definately recommend these services. It's not a question of liability but of convenience.

Sadly I've had to call them twice (once when my home was burgled and once when my purse was dipped on a trip). I have 5 cards ( personal and business) from different banks and card issuers. With Sentinel one phone call rather than 5 sorts it all out - very quick efficent.

For my annual fee they also have details of my passport number, drivers licence number, I have a brass tag on my keys so if I lose those anyone finding them can just drop them in a mailbox anywhere in the world and they'll be returned to Sentinel who will send them on to me, and I have 3 baggage tags so if my luggage goes astry then Sentinel will trace and return it to me.

In my opinion it's well worth the cost of 3 or 4 cappuchinos a year.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit Card Protection: Lost Card Reporting Services

buhryn, a good friend is a lawyer, and he suggested the statutory declarations for the credit bureau - you know, I, TPlus, on this date X do swear that.....boilerplate, boilerplate. Did it as a cover my tail thing, and worth it for the peace of mind.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit Card Protection: Lost Card Reporting Services

bump.

NO other credit card registration services in US?

There used to be so many...