We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way to get to Heathrow from Kensington

San Francisco
4 posts
Save Topic
Best Way to get to Heathrow from Kensington

I'll be staying at the Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington near Circle Line - Kensington Station in July. Has anyone stayed here before?

Also, what is the best route to Heathrow Airport from the Hotel? I'd prefer to take Underground versus, taxi. Any idea as to the costs?

Thanks.

Bermuda
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way to get to Heathrow from Kensington

You can take the underground to Paddington station, which is on the Circle Line, and change there to the Heathrow Express. One way on Heathrow Express is GBP14.00 and takes about 15 minutes. Alternatively you could take the Piccadilly line (which runs thru South Kensington station) all the way to Heathrow, would probably take around an hour and cost would be just over GBP2.00.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way to get to Heathrow from Kensington

The Tube will cost closer to 4 pounds than 2; still a bargain though, for getting all the way to the airport :)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,441 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way to get to Heathrow from Kensington

If you go the tube route, it costs 3.80GBP. From High Street Kensington (the nearest tube station) the easiest way with luggage is to take the District Line one stop to Earls Court, then change across the platform (10 feet) to another District Line train heading towards either Richmond or Ealing Broadway. At Hammersmith you change again by crossing the platform (another 10 feet)! to take the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow.

The hotel has loads of reviews on the hotels section of this site. Very useful.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way to get to Heathrow from Kensington

Hi lisbonporto,

I'm just home from a nine day stay at the Copthorne Tara, I took the Heathrow Express via the Circle line from Kensington, and I live two hours south of you in Monterey.

So you must take everything I say as if it were coming from your own brain. ;-)

There is a lovely shortcut from the Copthorne Tara to the Kensington High Street Tube station which you will discover fairly quickly (at the station head towards the Boots and make a sharp left before entering it.)

The Tube connection to Heathrow Express could not be easier: just two stops away on the Circle Line.

Heathrow Express trains leave every 15 minutes. Give yourself plenty of extra time for check-in, security, travel to gate etc -- the delays/queues CAN add up quickly.

I found the Copthorne pleasant enough and very convenient. If you're sensitive to noise, get a room on the west side as the trains from the aforementioned Tube station can be noisy. Lots and lots of little shops, restaurants etc in the neighborhood. As mentioned, the TA reviews give a good feel for the place.

If you are going for the lower priced rooms, I recommend double-checking the dates for your stay at londontown.com just to make sure you are getting the best rate.

San Francisco
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Way to get to Heathrow from Kensington

Thank you all - especially Tony Moco for taking time to reply to my post. I appreciate it! Cheers!

Texas
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Way to get to Heathrow from Kensington

lisbonporto,

We took the Heathrow Express to Paddington - which worked great! We did take the Circle Line to High Street from there, but in retrospect, next time we would take a taxi to/from High street back to the Paddington Station.. carrying even our one piece of luggage down those stairs into the tube was a pain.

The taxis aren't really all that expensive. We avoided them until the last night and then took one from Victoria Station back to High Street. Think it was something like 10 pounds (split between two of us.) After a night of pubs...well worth it!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Way to get to Heathrow from Kensington

I took the heathrow Express to Paddington, then because of the luggage weight (heavy) and no lifts to the Circle Line at Paddington, I took a cab from Paddington - about 5 Pounds.